Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Playing around in C  (Read 1709 times)

Offline nick_op

• PS Silver Member
Playing around in C
on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:48 PM
Hi there, folks. I stumbled across this forums a few months ago and have been reading through the threads here picking up as much advice related to improvisation as possible. I thought it was about time I posted an improv of my own for feedback and advice.

It's a free improvisation that starts in C major, moves through E minor and ends in D major. It's fairly lengthy (about 8 mins) and big chunks of it are less than compelling, but I thought it better to post the whole lot as there are a few cool ideas scattered about, and someone might be able to offer advice as to what to work on to improve.

One of the aims of this was for me to keep going, no matter what, as I have a tendency with improvisation to stop if I hit a "wrong" note. I think I did fairly well in that respect, though there are a few stumbles.

My recorder was (foolishly) near to the bass end of the piano so sometimes things are a little bass heavy. Let me know if the sound needs boosting at all - I did increase the gain slightly as it was very quiet.

Thanks in advance for listening.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Playing around in C
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:06:24 PM
There is a "searching" simplicity in this that seems fascinating to me! :) You start almost in Palestrina style, but somehow you feel that you can't stick to that. It's indeed a style which is very difficult to improvise in, because there are so many rules. Plus, of course you want to explore other regions, and be free. After having explored some very contrasting paths you feel that, though, there must be something about that first Palestrina-like approach, and so you are to some extent returning to it.

Offline nick_op

• PS Silver Member
Re: Playing around in C
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:46:09 PM
pianowolfi, thanks for the comment. You've hit the nail on the head by describing what I was doing as searching, though I didn't realise it as I was doing it. I think your whole post describes what I did more I accurately than I could - I appreciate the insight into my process.

I listened back today and was more satisfied with what I produced. A few of the ideas I'll be exploring in further improvisations.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert