Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: If this doesn't make you smile!  (Read 2072 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
If this doesn't make you smile!
on: April 03, 2012, 05:41:39 AM
July 21, 2011. I flipped the recorder on when my then 5 year old niece, Milly was improvising on my broken Clavinova. It is a sweet, sweet interaction filled with moments that will make anybody smile and laugh. At one point she leaves the room to get her own keyboard, and what then ensues is priceless. Ah, the voice of a child, the innocence, the wonder and sense of discovery!

No matter what kind of day you've had, I hope this inspires you to rediscover that wonder in yourself.  :)

Dave

(Also heard in the background is the now deceased cockatiel, Moonbeam.)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: If this doesn't make you smile!
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:52 AM
Sounds like she was playing Dies Irae.  8)  It recurred several times. The interaction between the both of you is priceless.  There were times where her keyboard playback fits in with your Chopin.  Wonderful moment!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:50 AM
That was a special moment captured :)

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:19 AM
what is the piece with the chords about midway?

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:15 AM
Sounds like she was playing Dies Irae.  8)  It recurred several times. The interaction between the both of you is priceless.  There were times where her keyboard playback fits in with your Chopin.  Wonderful moment!

Yes, Dies Irae could be proof we're related.

what is the piece with the chords about midway?

There are four things I remember. Most prominent throughout is the first movement of Chopin's 3rd sonata. Snippets include, from the same Chopin book, the 1st Ballade and last movement of the 2nd Sonata (not as audible because of Milly's keyboard), and out of space, a Paganini theme that's always popping up in my head.

Thanks for listening guys! I get a real charge out of this recording.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:56:42 PM
Yes, so sweet and beautiful! :)

The voice of children has something very special! I also heard some children speak on my bike ride today, and, as I was tackling the mountain, I thought that they have really an a priori positivity, you can see it in their eyes and hear this universal positivity in their voice and in their thoughts :) Even if something is really problematic, or evil, they try to smother it in positivity.

I have had many such moments in my lessons with little ones, even the Dies Irae also came up somewhen.

When I was very little I used to sing a lot, I just sang what I heard inwardly, it was really huge and I felt that it was huge. And my mom told me later that she had heard something "cosmic" in my singing, I must have been 3 or 4 I think. And actually I remember it very distinctly, not the melodies, but the overall feeling, and sometimes I think all I try to do now is finding back to the sources of what I heard inwardly, back then.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert