Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Help cleaning Liszt Sonata recording  (Read 1612 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Help cleaning Liszt Sonata recording
on: April 03, 2012, 06:09:48 AM
I did upload a recording using the ZOOM H2: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=45060.0

In spite of this, I became intrigued with this other recording when I was browsing files from the Olympus voice recorder. It appears it is from October 17th, 2011. 10/17, to put it in that order, is one of the more significant days and numbers in my life...almost hanging as a dark cloud. In addition, as I consider that particular day in 2011, I start to remember an anxiety and weariness...something I was trying to escape, but ultimately found the courage and settled in quite nicely as the week went on. I think I was then using the Liszt Sonata as a means of venting the tension and mounting the courage, and this sets it apart from other "practice runs." Though the better recorded version linked above creates quite the storm, this one is more than 3 minutes faster, and dripping with intensity. I wonder if it's not because of the inferior equipment that I would prefer this recording to the other, how it presses the imagination...I can even imagine it's not my playing, but some old master of the past. I like such fantasies.

In any case, it's a souvenir I'd like to keep for myself. I'm sorry I've not developed the skills nor do I own the proper equipment to make this sound better. I received much help here in this regard, and I'm very thankful. If anyone is willing to give a try this time, I'd be very appreciative.

Original file (17 mb) here: https://www.mediafire.com/?eu6ekmlchcaew99

Thanks very much!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help cleaning Liszt Sonata recording
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
Awesome playing. I tried to clean it, made one which is similar size and one which is micro size which is easy to download :) The smaller one of course is not as good quality, but it's pretty close to the other one.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:47:39 AM
Awesome playing. I tried to clean it, made one which is similar size and one which is micro size which is easy to download :) The smaller one of course is not as good quality, but it's pretty close to the other one.

Thanks for trying, Lost. I know you always come through. I'm not satisfied, though...I really need to find out how to do this for myself. I did make an attempt on Audacity, and lowering the volume seemed to help some.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:33:21 PM
Hello Dave....

TERRIFIC playing .... a lot of FIRE!!!!!  it is a pity, a better recording would have made it a conflagration!! ;D

I hope this helps..... there was just too much clipping and there was this terrible
interference ... cracking between 5.5 and 6.5 kilohertz ... which had to be filtered
a little ... some compromises here and there.... but I think much better than the
original!!!!   If you want the wave file just PM me.

stephen

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:21 PM
Hello Dave....

TERRIFIC playing .... a lot of FIRE!!!!!  it is a pity, a better recording would have made it a conflagration!! ;D

I hope this helps..... there was just too much clipping and there was this terrible
interference ... cracking between 5.5 and 6.5 kilohertz ... which had to be filtered
a little ... some compromises here and there.... but I think much better than the
original!!!!   If you want the wave file just PM me.

stephen

Stephen, I'm impressed! You actually made this sound pretty good in light of the circumstances. I know that these voice recorders are not made for recording music...it's amazing that I continue end up using it for such.

I don't guess it matters too much because I do have the recording with the Zoom H2 from a couple days earlier which I shared earlier. It was either a thought that it was a more engaged moment, or I just liked it because the bad recording makes it where I cannot hear as many mistakes, but the overarching scheme is preserved - I just wanted it for myself. You've done a pretty good job helping me with that! Thank you very much,

Dave

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:17:34 PM
hello Dave!!!

Personally I found your playing to be deep and INTENSE .... enjoyed it very much! :)
Those hand held recorders are best for voice but I think you may have set
the recording levels too high causing a lot of clipping which is difficult to remove.
Nevertheless they are so handy ... as you said before you have one always ready in your pocket! ;D

I have had the Zoom 4HN for about 6 months now and I have found that placing it inside the piano and mixing the recording with that from the camera mic which would be at a farther distance best captures the feel of the sound of a modest sized hall.  The drawback is that the Zoom picks up the minutest sound if inside the piano especially the keyboard action and the pedal ..... but the lower notes stand out very well.  The Scherzo No.3 of Enzo which I posted earlier was recorded in that manner.  It is a pity ... amateurs like us do not do justice to the herculean efforts pianists exert in playing pieces .... we end up with a whimp of a recording which is altogether another art. ;D

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:36:16 PM
Wow, i really liked this performance, even with the clicks and cracks and everything else that goes into a poor recording quality! YOu still brought lots of excitement and "fire" into your playing. Very thought out playing. A well rounding performance full of emotion I thoroughly enjoyed hearing this! Well Done! Ive now downloaded it to my computer for future listening!

That prestissimo section though It was wonderful and played great. But you know my thoughts on that section HaHa.

Well done!
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert