Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: A Romantic period improvisation of mine  (Read 6614 times)

Offline dmp14011

• PS Silver Member
A Romantic period improvisation of mine
on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:04 PM
The piece was performed in March 2012. What do you think?

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Re: A Romantic period improvisation of mine
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:21:06 PM
Good attempt, i loved the simplicity of the  melody, very catchy. Two bits of 'Advice'

Try embelishing the left hand more to bring out the melody,
add some more textures to the right hand.

There only suggestions, but a good method to improve improvising is at times you need to stop playing it safe, regardless of the sound you produce. Experiment, explore!

Great work, and keep posting :)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:49:21 AM
A charming melody to be sure, even if it keeps on reminding me, for a reason I can't quite put my finger on, of the title theme from the movie "It", which association is my problem as the listener and not yours, I hasten to add. Maybe a more strongly contrasting middle section would be an idea. In any case, I enjoyed it and hope to hear more from you.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 12:46:22 PM
A very sweet tune.  I heard some bits that sounded as they were influenced by Beethoven's 5th concerto. 

I'd agree with chopinatic, don't be afraid to do something radically out of your comfort zone.  You can try to integrate your theme more with the other ideas you had such as the Beethoven sounding arpeggios, the octave scales, a secondary theme based on the harmony underlying your tune, a reharmonized tune. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline terexyun

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 04:17:28 PM
nice, I enjoyed it. And agree with the above posts. Try just throwing random stuff in, experimenting while improving is pretty fun!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert