Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Arabesque #1 rehearsing.  (Read 5186 times)

Offline venik

• PS Silver Member
Arabesque #1 rehearsing.
on: April 14, 2012, 01:01:53 AM
d=1 Use this link if you want to listen in HD.

I just got an iphone and I was testing the mic/video on it. This was a first-try recording so be nice! Missed a couple of notes. Turned out pretty good though for an iphone, IMO, so I uploaded it. I'm loving how good the iphone actually records. Better than my video camera as far as sound is concerned. I'm going to record the song with some real equipment and without any mess-ups once I get my SP B-1s setup and a friend to record me.

I usually don't play with any rubato, but I've been experimenting.

Please feel free to give me tips, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc.

I took professional lessons for 13 years, and I've been playing for 17 total.

And thanks for listening.

Offline chauncey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Arabesque #1 rehearsing.
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:30 PM
Great playing! First of all, I'm glad that you got playing triplets over eights notes, eights notes over triplets down. Some people just cant get that down for some reason..

Ok.. I understand that there is a few mistakes here and there. That's alright, no one is perfect. I just want to say.. SLOW DOWN :o. Please man, it's an impressionistic piece haha. In the first 5 measures your tempo is pretty good. But then when the triplets over eights are introduced, your triplets are at least twice is fast as they were in the beginning.
Also, a bit more rubato wouldn't hurt. The thing with this piece, and many other romantic or impressionistic pieces, is that you have to make it expressive. Take a look at impressionistic paintings such as the famous Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. See how everything blends together? The blending could stand for the damper pedal in music. The swirly movements, the expression in the piece (that's one way to look at it).
Lastly, I think you are hitting tied notes as if they weren't tied. For an example, in the 4th measure going to the beginning of the 5th, you hit the "A" three times, when its really supposed to be hit twice. Anyway, I'm also really impressed on how well you did on the runs, especially the unresolved 7ths one (Measure 34). Keep it up man! :)

Offline venik

• PS Silver Member
Re: Arabesque #1 rehearsing.
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:24:48 PM
Great playing! First of all, I'm glad that you got playing triplets over eights notes, eights notes over triplets down. Some people just cant get that down for some reason..

Ok.. I understand that there is a few mistakes here and there. That's alright, no one is perfect. I just want to say.. SLOW DOWN :o. Please man, it's an impressionistic piece haha. In the first 5 measures your tempo is pretty good. But then when the triplets over eights are introduced, your triplets are at least twice is fast as they were in the beginning.
Also, a bit more rubato wouldn't hurt. The thing with this piece, and many other romantic or impressionistic pieces, is that you have to make it expressive. Take a look at impressionistic paintings such as the famous Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. See how everything blends together? The blending could stand for the damper pedal in music. The swirly movements, the expression in the piece (that's one way to look at it).
Lastly, I think you are hitting tied notes as if they weren't tied. For an example, in the 4th measure going to the beginning of the 5th, you hit the "A" three times, when its really supposed to be hit twice. Anyway, I'm also really impressed on how well you did on the runs, especially the unresolved 7ths one (Measure 34). Keep it up man! :)

I get that alot, that I should slow down. I think I actually played even faster than usual being that I wanted to hear the recording haha. But, definitely, I'll record the next one with the B-1's slower, with more rubato, and more pianomisso. And since this was a first try, I will miss less notes if any (esp cause I'll be playing slower).

I worked reeaally hard getting those triplets over quarter/eighth notes down. Learning this piece has made me much better at triplets overall.

I actually couldn't figure out if I was supposed to play that A 3 times or two (the high a right before the triplets run down?). I'll revisit that. I love measure 34~ aswell!

Thanks again =).

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert