Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach - Italian Concerto, BWV 971  (Read 8570 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Bach - Italian Concerto, BWV 971
on: June 04, 2012, 10:39:09 PM
here is a live recording from a recent concert of the italian concerto.  the program was called the cosmopolitan pianist, the conceit being that every piece on the program had a different country title in it (russian folktale, korean variations, bulgarian dances, etc.) this followed on the concert godowsky's version of the star-spangled banner, which i have posted here before.

UPDATE:
here's the video:
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach - Italian Concerto, BWV 971
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:58:50 AM
Hello!

This is quite lovely and I enjoyed listening to the three movements.  I must say though that I have had an overdose of the Italian Concerto lately as my son Enzo is practicing this often for a recital this early July.  THANKS for posting. :)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 02:45:25 PM
Hello!

This is quite lovely and I enjoyed listening to the three movements.  I must say though that I have had an overdose of the Italian Concerto lately as my son Enzo is practicing this often for a recital this early July.  THANKS for posting. :)

easy to have italian concerto overdose! but thanks anyways.
Would be interested in hearing your sons recording when it exists

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:41:45 AM
Nice and inspiring to hear! I'm playing this piece on my concert in about 1,5 months. You seem to have a different edition than me though. It surprised me a lot when there was a major chord where it is minor in the edition I use  ;D

Really good!

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:13 AM
Personally I would play the second movement a little bit slower (it's adagio), but that's just me. I think you need that calmness before the last movement, but I like your interpretation :)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 12:05:53 PM
Personally I would play the second movement a little bit slower (it's adagio), but that's just me. I think you need that calmness before the last movement, but I like your interpretation :)

thanks! though we definitely are operating from different scores. the second movement is andante, not adagio!

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:54:48 PM
thanks! though we definitely are operating from different scores. the second movement is andante, not adagio!

Oh, my fault! Don't know why I thought it stood adagio :P

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:27:58 AM

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:42:24 PM
I played the Presto Finale for my Grade 8!  I haven not played it since -that is what exams can do to a piece! 

In any case your playing is very assured as always -you really do have a passion for old J.S!
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline cpessimist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:13:51 PM
sorry, more bach!

I'm confused by this statement.  Do you mean "You're welcome, more Bach" or "You're a bunch of shlubs if you don't like this, more Bach"?

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:04 AM
I'm confused by this statement.  Do you mean "You're welcome, more Bach" or "You're a bunch of shlubs if you don't like this, more Bach"?

haha, not sure. does sorry every mean you're welcome?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert