Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Who is the best pianist currently in the market?  (Read 8160 times)

Offline tril

• PS Silver Member
Who is the best pianist currently in the market?
on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:43 PM
From the greats out there under 50? (and still alive)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who is the best pianist currently in the market?
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:15 PM
In the market???? Gah!! >:(
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:59:45 PM
haha "market" - #ways_to_destroy_an_artform

could be a typo? maybe OP meant "on" the market and is simply hoping to score a date with a good pianist..

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:20:16 AM
maybe OP meant "on" the market and is simply hoping to score a date with a good pianist..

LOL, that may be.

'Seeks companion. Must be under 50. Must be best pianist in the world in that category. Must be still breathing'

;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:54 AM
I think Valentina Lisitsa is a fantastic pianist!  But then there's soo many other famous pianists, and unknown 16 year old prodigies who are incredible as well!

So I don't really think you can label a best pianist.  At the end, I think it all comes down to personal preference.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline tril

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:40:51 PM
haha "market" - #ways_to_destroy_an_artform

could be a typo? maybe OP meant "on" the market and is simply hoping to score a date with a good pianist..

wot? I mean in the concert pianist market obviously, isn't there a "market" out there for concert pianists where evrybody is competing??? dirty minds.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:41:21 PM
wot? I mean in the concert pianist market obviously, isn't there a "market" out there for concert pianists where evrybody is competing??? dirty minds.

He who has the best note-per-second ratio is the best.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 12:13:40 PM
Hummmm, I think I would buy or rent Pierre Laurent Aimard in that market. And while I'm on the market, I'd buy some food and a new vacuum cleaner.

Offline cadenza14224

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:38:11 PM
Difficult to choose. But all nit-picky analyses aside...I thoroughly enjoy Yuja Wang's performances/recordings.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:17:52 PM
I thought you meant the best pianist under 50 that is single.  ;)

A wild guess would be Evgeny Kissin but Volodos looks like he is single somehow  ::)

Some people would propably say that Volodos and Kissin are the best pianists below 50 even if you include everyone.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:31:04 PM
Some people would propably say that Volodos and Kissin are the best pianists below 50 even if you include everyone.
Of those two, Volodos is certainly the better pianist, although some of his Liszt is a little too vulgar for my taste. I just can't pick anyone. Nothing beats the old school.

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:00 PM

I realised what you meant - and while I must accept that there is a "market" where pianists compete, its annoys me. Any situation where 'artists' attempt to better other artists makes them less of an artist.

Not that I'm in the category of world standard pianists, but I've personally been subjected to non-pianists demanding that I have a technical play off with other musicians to see who's the best. Not interested, and neither have any of the other pianists been - and I doubt the majority of world class pianists would be either.

Its a subjective question, and there are ways/reasons you can argue that one pianist is better than another, but really its just an opinion - and it doesn't reflect upon actual music very often.

Only an opinion, but I don't understand why anyone would be interested in the answer to this question to begin with, no single pianist has recorded the entire repertoire, and I sincerely doubt that will ever happen, so you'd be limiting your musical intake by listening to them only. And if you're looking for the best pianist to imitate to develop your playing, then you'll end up as an imitation rather than an artist which is again obviously limiting yourself - the question serves no musical or developmental purpose.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:48 AM
demanding that I have a technical play off with other musicians to see who's the best. Not interested, and neither have any of the other pianists been - and I doubt the majority of world class pianists would be either.

Yet, there remains the plethora of piano competitions that everyone fetishises. :(

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:00:02 AM
Yet, there remains the plethora of piano competitions that everyone fetishises. :(

Is that about making music, or making saleable public profiles pianists?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 01:09:27 AM
Is that about making music, or making saleable public profiles pianists?

Making the organisers feel important, methinks.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 01:24:31 AM
Making the organisers feel important, methinks.
..and pumping up judges egos by allowing them to belittle genuinely creative artists who've had the balls to stray away from the score in a public arena.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 01:50:12 AM
..and pumping up judges egos by allowing them to belittle genuinely creative artists who've had the balls to stray away from the score in a public arena.

Well, Agerich was actually quite nice about Pogorellich.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 01:55:38 AM
Well, Agerich was actually quite nice about Pogorellich.

Haha! Yes, but didn't she also resign from the judging in protest to the overall result (atleast wiki says so)..  she's not the norm.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 01:58:49 AM
Haha! Yes, but didn't she also resign from the judging in protest to the overall result (atleast wiki says so)..  she's not the norm.

My understanding is she resigned when he was eliminated prior to the final round. She declared him a genius. Agree she's not the norm, but in this instance I think history has failed to vindicate her.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 08:02:12 PM
2 pianists I have only heard a few recordings from are Andsnes and Luganski. I have heard people say the "the best pianist in the world right now" about both of them from people that seen them live and heard all their studiorecordings. I don´t know if anyone here agree?

I realised recently that you shouldn´t judge a living pianist untill you have heard all studiorecordings and seen them live as well.  :P

Offline sonicbass

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:43 PM
Lang Lang!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 11:25:46 PM
Lang Lang!

Lang Lang!

Lang Lang is the best living pianist in the world!!

Lang Lang is the best living pianist in the world!!

You do really need to broaden your horizons.

Unless you're on the payroll, in which case WORK HARDER!!!

Offline ignaceii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 09:08:46 AM
You do really need to broaden your horizons.

Unless you're on the payroll, in which case WORK HARDER!!!
You need to go to the psychiatrist. He will help you.
For the rest, bit stupid question. You need to wait at least 20 years to see how their musicality has evolved.
The made in China's, see psychiatrist.

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 04:06:06 PM
Helene Grimaud

Offline ignaceii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 10:19:15 PM
Helene Grimaud
You are kidding. She loves wolves more. Great but not the summum.
Small repertoire I have the impression.

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:40 PM
Each to their own.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 12:47:16 AM
Krystian zimmerman
Is he under 50? Oh well still the best
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 12:57:35 AM
Krystian zimmerman
Is he under 50? Oh well still the best

Born 1956, so do the math.

Also only two "m"s in total.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 01:38:30 AM
Born 1956, so do the math.

Also only two "m"s in total.

Damn

Damn damn.
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 02:17:25 PM
You are kidding. She loves wolves more. Great but not the summum.
Small repertoire I have the impression.

She is a very intelligent woman who adores her piano.   However, a friend of mine who has had a few piano lessons and has now given up, expressed a desire to watch Helene Grimaud play on dvd. I said I have her documentary 'Living with Wolves' and took it round and we watched it together. If  anyone on here knows anything about Helene, she is as passionate about wolves as she is music.  When my friend watched the dvd, she said that although Helene is a very talented pianist, she found it quite odd that she likes wolves to the degree where she hugs and kisses them and lets them lick her face.   She said she would be too scared to get so close to a wolf in case they turn.   Wolves are not pets, they are wild animals and wild animals kill so she said for anyone to treat a wolf as you do a household pet (dog) is strange and insane and bizzare for an intelligent person to do that because your natural instinct tells you to keep away from wolves for your own safety.   I read only recently that a wolf killed a baby so they are dangerous unpredictable creatures.   Mind you, large dogs can be that way but not as bad as wolves. So my friend thought Helene was odd.

What does anyone else think?

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 02:02:24 PM
 :D

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 03:41:31 PM
Jonathan Powell is 45, so... no contest.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 04:45:15 PM
Jonathan Powell is 45, so... no contest.

I have immense respect for Mr Powell, but it is very difficult to make a judgement compared to other pianists, as his repertoire leans towards the plinkers.

Thal

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 05:15:51 PM
I have immense respect for Mr Powell, but it is very difficult to make a judgement compared to other pianists, as his repertoire leans towards the plinkers.

Thal

Perhaps, but the question at hand is not who has the best taste of repertoire, but who is the best pianist. In terms of sheer technical skill, he is the best pianist there is.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 05:20:29 PM
The taste in repertoire is irrelevant. My point is it is difficult to make comparisons with other pianists due to a lack of common repertoire.

Playing worthless apeshit like Sorabji and Finnissy gives us little idea of how good he is, as a deranged baboon could perform the same works.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 06:54:38 PM

Playing worthless apeshit like Sorabji and Finnissy gives us little idea of how good he is, as a deranged baboon could perform the same works.

Thal

It's true!

Ask the deranged baboon to play some Mozart or Chopin, where real musical skill is required instead of mere athletic poo-flinging ability, and it will probably say no!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 07:03:14 PM
Indeed a baboon will never play Mozart, but will play Finnissy like it is second nature.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 07:21:17 PM
The taste in repertoire is irrelevant. My point is it is difficult to make comparisons with other pianists due to a lack of common repertoire.

Thal

Technical skill is more focused on objective and quantifiable representation than the concept of proficiency in common repertoire is. Whether or not Sorabji's works are good or bad is up to debate, but it is completely certain that they are, indeed, extremely difficult to perform and very complex. Moreover, Powell doesn't solely play modern repertoire. He has played Classical and even Baroque works extensively.

Also, I would consider composers such as Mozart and Alkan to be "plinkers" just as much as you consider such as Sorabji and Finnissy to be "plinkers".

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 07:44:26 PM
He has played Classical and even Baroque works extensively.

Indeed and I know someone who found it a relief to get out of the concert hall after hearing him play Beethoven.

He might well be the best plinker pianist on the market, but until I have heard him play Rachmaninov, Liszt, Beethoven, Mozart and Chopin, I cannot compare him to other suggestions in this thread as there is no common framework.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 07:47:49 PM
I read only recently that a wolf killed a baby so they are dangerous unpredictable creatures.  

What does anyone else think?

Yes and I only recently watched tons of videos about people killing other people, like kids killing their parents and siblings, parents killing their kids and things like that, so people are dangerous and unpredictable creatures as well it would seem.
But no really of course wild animals are not the same as pets. But if someone knows how to treat them and if the animals get to know that person and accept them then I think it's ok, but of course it's not for everyone. Like anything else.  :)

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 07:52:51 PM
Indeed and I know someone who found it a relief to get out of the concert hall after hearing him play Beethoven.

He might well be the best plinker pianist on the market, but until I have heard him play Rachmaninov, Liszt, Beethoven, Mozart and Chopin, I cannot compare him to other suggestions in this thread as there is no common framework.

Thal

The bright side of this discourse is your indirect implication that Alkan is a plinker.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 07:58:03 PM
Then I must make myself 100% clear. Alkan is not a plinker. He is s P0.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 05:36:21 PM
I think Valentina Lisitsa is a fantastic pianist!
You don't say?!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:53 PM
Then I must make myself 100% clear. Alkan is not a plinker. He is s P0.

Thal

How can you not consider Alkan a plinker? His music is uninspired, directionless, inharmonious noise.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 05:58:40 PM
As I have made clear on more occsions than I either can or care to remember here, I have no idea what a "plinker" is, but it seems that, if Jonathan Powell's repertoire consists mainly or entirely of music by them, then Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Alkan, Brahms, Albeniz, Busoni, Granados, Rachmaninov, Godowsky and Medtner all fall into this amorphous and as yet undefined category into which I also have the dubious privilege of finding myself.

I am still none the wiser.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline vladimir_gouldowsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 09:03:24 PM

Offline vladimir_gouldowsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 09:09:07 PM

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 09:17:56 PM
Yeah, the composer of one of the greatest sets of theme and variations of the 19th century is a "plinker". That piece alone would make him immortal, but he also wrote some of the most forward looking, beautiful, and strange miniatures ever conceived - the Esquisses Op. 63.  And then there's Quasi-Faust, the Op.39 Symphony and Concerto, great Violin and Cello Sonatas...it goes on.

Alkan = great composer.
You = poast hackish nonsense on this webzone

"Plinker" is in regards to piano music, apparently. So the latter examples have little weight.

The problem is that people don't seem to differentiate between "virtuosic" and "well-written". Alkan was very virtuosic in terms of his piano writing, but that alone doesn't mean he's a great composer. Just having tonality and virtuosic material doesn't automatically qualify any given piece as a masterpiece of the piano repertoire.

Personally, I find him the most overrated and lackluster of the composers of the entirety of the Romantic Era. Though, as is obvious, opinion is just opinion. Since all taste is subjective, neither of our opinions really matters.

Also, you used the word poast incorrectly.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 09:20:42 PM
I am still none the wiser.

I sort of realised that.

Thal
Curator/Director
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert