Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn - Rondo capriccioso, op.14  (Read 9263 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Mendelssohn - Rondo capriccioso, op.14
on: June 15, 2012, 01:33:43 PM
the beloved Capricious Rondo from Mendelssohn's early years, always a kind of favorite of mine. i say kind of because while i don't think it is that compelling it is truly fun to play.

for some reason this piece gets classified as medium difficulty or student levle, i personally think it is quite difficult due to it being exposed and having a delicate rhythmic balance in the whole structure. also the characters need to be really different, from the amorous and dreamy beginning, to the moonlit forest scherzo, to the fervent middle theme. 

all in all a triumph of mendelssohn's german romantic imagination.

Offline japanesepianist

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn - Rondo capriccioso, op.14
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:29:37 AM
     That was great! You had a lot of clarity to your notes, and it was very clear. But, I think in the minor section, you could use a bit more dynamic, and make it a tad more of an intensified forte, but don't overdo it! Your staccatos were nice and clean, which was very, very nice! The intro was clean and beautiful, while the minor section was very firey, and I kind of got the feeling of being chased through a dark forest deep at night. Overall, you did a really nice job! Keep up the good work!
Be nice to me, I'll be nice to you.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:40 AM
     That was great! You had a lot of clarity to your notes, and it was very clear. But, I think in the minor section, you could use a bit more dynamic, and make it a tad more of an intensified forte, but don't overdo it! Your staccatos were nice and clean, which was very, very nice! The intro was clean and beautiful, while the minor section was very firey, and I kind of got the feeling of being chased through a dark forest deep at night. Overall, you did a really nice job! Keep up the good work!

thanks for listening

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:13:23 AM
This is EXCELLENT!!!  Quite familiar with the piece as my son will include this in his recital late August.  You play the slower initial phase with a beautiful "singing" quality and on the faster 2nd part you really exert good control of tempo and phrasing .... the overall effect is enjoyable to listen to.  THANKS!!
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert