Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Improvisation on Thornbury  (Read 1832 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Improvisation on Thornbury
on: August 06, 2012, 02:18:06 PM
An improvised piece on the hymn tune Thornbury.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvisation on Thornbury
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:35:57 PM
I am fascinated by this! Those long notes are like massaging my soul. I love especially how you treat the suspended notes, sometimes resolving them and sometimes leading them just a different path. Did you play that before the service?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvisation on Thornbury
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:42 PM
Thanks Wolfi.  Yes, this was the Prelude for the service. 

I should say something about endings.  The end of the prelude is somewhat decided by the moment the priest enters the chancel.  Of course the service has a scheduled start time, but due to various circumstances it is not always possible to start on time. It could be a +5 minute late start.  Forming a plan for an improvised prelude does come with its challenges, as one needs to adapt the timing of the music to all that is happening around.  I have about a 10 to 15 second warning before the piece needs to come to a close, as the clergy takes formation.  Sure I could just end the piece at the scheduled time and twiddle my thumbs waiting for everything to start - but that's no fun  :D
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert