Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What does this notation mean? (Scriabin op. 11 no. 5)  (Read 3094 times)

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member

Offline proklover

• PS Silver Member
Re: What does this notation mean? (Scriabin op. 11 no. 5)
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:35:38 PM
It's just a rest for all voices, I guess
...search a recording on YouTube and see how they play it?
"That's why I say 'seem', rather than 'to be'-because seeming is art's job and measure."

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:16:00 PM
I'm quite sure that's a chord, with some sort of extra long value. What's the time signature?

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:49:30 PM
I'm quite sure that's a chord, with some sort of extra long value. What's the time signature?

Ah, checked the time signature. I think you're close, but not exactly...

The time signature is 4/2, and the piece starts with a pickup measure of 2 half notes, so I think the marking at the end is supposed to indicate that the chord is a "whole note" in the sense that it lasts 4 beats, but not in the sense of it lasting for an entire measure, since there are only 2 beats left after you account for the 2 at the beginning of the piece.

Thank you for making me check the time signature!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:52 PM
You might call it a whole note -- I forget just at the moment the technical term -- and it has the time value of four half notes; four beats in 4/2 time.
Ian

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 12:54:06 AM
You might call it a whole note -- I forget just at the moment the technical term -- and it has the time value of four half notes; four beats in 4/2 time.

Why should it be that way? There are two beats (2 half notes) in the first measure of the piece. Shouldn't these be borrowed from the end, leaving only 2 half notes left in the end?

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:28:26 AM
lol I thought it was a printing mistake.
Bach Prelude and Fugue BWV848
Beethoven Piano Sonata Op.13
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31
Mussorgsky "The Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 04:26:04 AM
lol I thought it was a printing mistake.

I thought that at first as well, but I have three separate copies of this work which all have it, plus the ones I've seen on IMSLP

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:05 AM
It's called a breve, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_whole_note

Re "missing beats" that would only be applicable if there was a repeat indicated, which there isn't.

Offline nearenough

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 03:30:31 PM
If you look at Schumann's Carnaval op 9 the piece following Coquette is "Sphinxs" (page 11 Kalmus vol 2) and it consists of 3 bars of 4, 3, 4 box shaped notes like in the Scriabin but elongated horizontally. A note says, "The Sphinxes (sic) should not be played."
I have noted Horowitz plays them rather forcefully in his Japan and NYC concert(s). If not "Breves" what are these notes called, or did Schumann invent them? Why would Schumann write unplayable notes at all? Maybe he was a forerunner of John Cage.

in the Humoreske Op 20 there is a section "Hastig" where the composer indicates "this inner part is not to be played. The player is to 'read between the lines' here, as it were." This is yet more mysterious, but I guess  a composer can do anything he wants. Elliott Carter. Kaikosru Shapurji Sorabji. Michael Finnissy.

I am an artist (among other things) and I have long thought of hanging a show of, say of 3x5 cards, where paintings would be described in words and not actually painted. Somebody beat me to the punch by selling a sculpture with such a method. Anybody want a symphony described?

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
A note says, "The Sphinxes (sic) should not be played."

in the Humoreske Op 20 there is a section "Hastig" where the composer indicates "this inner part is not to be played. The player is to 'read between the lines' here, as it were."

Any respect I had for Schumann is now gone.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 11:14:06 PM
Any respect I had for Schumann is now gone.

The indication that the Sphynxes should not be played is, I believe, editorial rather than Schumann's own. I suspect the same to be true of the Humoreske.

Not playing anything for the Sphynxes is common practice, but not universal.  What Schumann actually intended is not clear, though given the name it is probably his rather contorted idea of an inside joke. I personally skip them. If I were performing, I'd probably sit there for a bit trying to look mkysterious; in the privacy of my own piano room that just feels a bit weird.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline justinrp97

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:55 PM
This is a double whole note or a breve.  Since this piece is 4/2 it fits perfectly in the measure.

Offline justinrp97

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 07:57:08 PM
Why should it be that way? There are two beats (2 half notes) in the first measure of the piece. Shouldn't these be borrowed from the end, leaving only 2 half notes left in the end?

Not necessarily.

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:20:29 PM

Doesn't apply. You can start a piece with an upbeat, but you probably should end the piece with a whole measure.

Unless there's a repeat at the end. But personally, I hate pieces that have a repeat at the end. It's like the composer didn't bother to write a good ending. It's why I don't like the C#m Chopin Polonaise and I absolutely abhor the Military Polonaise.
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1
Rachmaninoff/Kreisler Liebesleid
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert