Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: New Breath and the tonal center of the universe.  (Read 2877 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
New Breath and the tonal center of the universe.
on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:33 AM
The long title would be:

Unedited Thoughts At The Time Upon Hearing Karli's "New Breath" And Contemplating The Tonal Center Of The Universe."

A combination of two inspirations of one author, combined with the epic choir room Chickering (a WAR HORSE if there ever was one) combined with struggle for thoughts (not to mention ability to pull them off), combined with the thick hiss of the tape, makes way for one serious document of recorded history.

The author I refer to is of course our Karli, who is our m1469. The two sources are this post:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=32130.msg375165#msg375165
And from this amazing piece:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=32098.0

The fact that my improvised realization is so far from what must have been in the authors mind in writing on "the tonal center of the universe" may be due actually to the picture she used to illustrate her desire:

Yes, I was so enthralled by the ἀπαύγασμα, the irradiated brightness with the unfathomable power breaking forth from it, I could not so focus on the actually idea of a tonal center.

And then there is the piece, "New Breath." I urge you to listen to it but way of background and introduction...but more for it is among the best of what makes our m1469 so special, and you will here how badly I struggle in my own way of incorporating her genius into the unsettled world of the present improvisation. So much of it really is the chronicle of fighting a music struggle.

Now this tape has been common knowledge to me for a couple years, but there was a period of forgetfulness between the recording and discovering the tape sometime later. The transfer cannot do justice to the terrifying effect of that opening chord the first time I heard it from the tape itself after its discover. It shook me to the core - this is on one hand where a bad recording method becomes of great use, and a piano as thick and strong as the cloud of hiss itself.

Ah well...I've been saving it for a rainy day. And this presented itself as the right moment to go back and share.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: New Breath and the tonal center of the universe.
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:16:18 PM
Of course this made me first relisten to "New Breath". I just realized with surprise that it was my first listening to one of m1469's Improvisations since we have met in Italy, and I am happy to say that I listen to her music with even more sympathy and interest than before! :) It actually feels a bit differently, in a very positive sense, and more real :)

There has been a similar situation for me with her thread about the origin of light, approximately one year before "New Breath", which inspired me to play my "Towards the light".

Of course I know of your's and m1469's affinity to fire.

So all this is about the same, I think, after all. The origin of the universe, and the "creation" of light, energy, fire, and sound, "The word". ὁ λόγος.

Three different minds, three different perspectives on "creation" and "origin", one source, and, I think, a big mystery :)

I think that you are meeting, embracing "New Breath" very clearly, reacting to it, getting into a sort of Socratic conversation with it.

I think I need more listens, there is a part in it that feels like you are looking into a vast landscape or space, and it feels like you are asking some questions, awaiting an answer which never does come. Vastness.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:17 PM
Dear Dave,

m1469 has always impressed me as a very intelligent and highly sensitive person with an inquisitive mind ..... reading through the post of - the characteristics and functions of the tonal center - placed me in a labyrinthine maze ... perhaps because I have no formal education in music or I just lack sleep as it is again 3:00 am like the past 3 days or maybe the drizzle the last 2 hours and the soft waft of cool moist air gushing into our window every now and then distracts my focus......

BUT, I have to say WOW! ... the improvisation .... the NEW BREATH has really caught my attention and has re-enforced my belief that Kali thinks and feels much more deeply about many things and has the talent to express it in words and in her music.  The simplicity, the regularity and the build-up of the notes has stirred something in me ..... perhaps I better try to get some sleep ........
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:00:58 AM
Dear Dave,

m1469 has always impressed me as a very intelligent and highly sensitive person with an inquisitive mind ..... reading through the post of - the characteristics and functions of the tonal center - placed me in a labyrinthine maze ... perhaps because I have no formal education in music or I just lack sleep as it is again 3:00 am like the past 3 days or maybe the drizzle the last 2 hours and the soft waft of cool moist air gushing into our window every now and then distracts my focus......

BUT, I have to say WOW! ... the improvisation .... the NEW BREATH has really caught my attention and has re-enforced my belief that Kali thinks and feels much more deeply about many things and has the talent to express it in words and in her music.  The simplicity, the regularity and the build-up of the notes has stirred something in me ..... perhaps I better try to get some sleep ........

Man, I'm in the same shape regarding sleep. It seems I have to fight sleep all the way in to work (50 mile commute) and fight sleep all the way back, and then get to my room and...where did the sleep go?

I'm really glad you got to hear NEW BREATH!

Of course this made me first relisten to "New Breath". I just realized with surprise that it was my first listening to one of m1469's Improvisations since we have met in Italy, and I am happy to say that I listen to her music with even more sympathy and interest than before! :) It actually feels a bit differently, in a very positive sense, and more real :)

There has been a similar situation for me with her thread about the origin of light, approximately one year before "New Breath", which inspired me to play my "Towards the light".

Of course I know of your's and m1469's affinity to fire.

So all this is about the same, I think, after all. The origin of the universe, and the "creation" of light, energy, fire, and sound, "The word". ὁ λόγος.

Three different minds, three different perspectives on "creation" and "origin", one source, and, I think, a big mystery :)

I think that you are meeting, embracing "New Breath" very clearly, reacting to it, getting into a sort of Socratic conversation with it.

I think I need more listens, there is a part in it that feels like you are looking into a vast landscape or space, and it feels like you are asking some questions, awaiting an answer which never does come. Vastness.

There is so much to glean from this post, and I'm sorry for my haste. I love the idea of the Socratic method in music! All these years I've not composed because I thought I didn't have the right answers - It turns out I've need the right QUESTIONS.  8)

Can you point me to the comments on light?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 05:34:39 AM
That thread is here:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=27418.0

:)

Thanks, Wolfi, It looks very interesting...and in some ways timely. I think of "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness did not overcome/comprehend it."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:28:50 AM
Thanks, guys, for your encouraging words!  Dave, I appreciate that you started this thread and I look forward to listening to your improv in full - I had started just after you posted this thread and already it was helpful and inspiring for me.  I felt a reaction to your re-posting that photo of the star ... this has been a fascination for me for quite sometime and often I've not been able to resist drawing some small sketch of its shape in various places.  I listened to New Breath again and that was interesting to hear.  I shall enjoy further developments :).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert