Piano Forum

Topic: Beethoven - Fugue from op. 106 (new)  (Read 1804 times)

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Fugue from op. 106 (new)
on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:49 PM
Recorded after a long and tiring practicing day...

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Fugue from op. 106 (new)
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:20 AM
 8)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:56:43 AM
Fnork, I feel like I have to be very careful about saying anything, and not sure about what I've already written. You have me so enamored with the Hammerklavier right now I'm in danger of shoving aside other projects to explore it. I spent some free time wandering through the fugue...and I've never realized just how it fits in the fingers in such a peculiar way. I would have thought it would be so much more uncomfortable than it is, perhaps based on its reputation. But I've looked at it times before thinking "this piece is impossible." I do not know what all of that means.

Well in the process of looking at the fugue, I began to question every single nit picking thing I wrote in the above response (Hey where'd it go? :P). Also, I was so foolish to have been going on memory of both the score and the recording (which I had listened to earlier in the day) when I commented in my haste - I was trying to get something on the board to acknowledge its presence, and was viewing it through the window of your statements in the other thread. And listening to you play it as I am right now, everything seems so right. I love the tempo, the trills, the accents, the sf's the contrasts...the nuances I mentioned so in passing (B major scales in at the beginning) have a genius to them based on the problem of the repeated notes.

It's really coming together, and will make for some brilliant performances!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:45:37 PM
Thank you so much for commenting (I did see the original post too before it disappeared ;) ) I understand what you mean about the fugue in general, and now that I feel more secure with it I am starting to feel that the most difficult and unpianistic part of this piece is in the first two movements. This largely depends on how seriously you want to take the metronome mark however, but in any case, I think it's criminal to make an Allegro maestoso or Allegro moderato out of the explosive first movement.
The fugue, on the other hand, once you get the notes and memorize it and work out all of those trills - you sort of just float along with it in performance, and ultimately it will almost play itself. I know others who have played this piece many times in public who feel somewhat similarly.

IN any case, thanks again for listening it through, very very much appreciated! Had a scholarship audition with the fugue, the bartok etude (+ a short boulez piece) just two days ago, and it was extremely useful to put up the work in progress here while I was preparing for it.

Offline liszt85

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 06:30:57 PM
I'm highly impressed.. I haven't explored this sonata yet (or most of Beethoven's sonatas) but all I know is this isn't an easy piece and you play it convincingly.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert