Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Four short improvs  (Read 1775 times)

Offline pankrpec

• PS Silver Member
Four short improvs
on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:36 AM
These are short improvisations from some time ago, they are not musically related to each other or something like that, but I just didn't feel that I should make a post for each one as I don't have anything to say about any of them in particular. Their names pretty much sum up my thoughts about them.

All of them are under 3min so its about 10min in total listening time.
Well, I hope you'll like them.
All truths, not merely ideas, but truthful faces, truthful pictures or songs, are highly beautiful.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Four short improvs
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:42:51 AM
Great atmosphere in footprints with the repeated notes and the resonance, and also the sense of structure paralleling the idea of repetition.

Listening to Tin Soldiers. There is something compositional about it, driven by the rhythmic and harmonic patterns.

Reconciliation flows rather naturally out of Tin Soldiers.

Rice field is a calm and pastoral conclusion to the set. The pentatonic language is quite picturesque. I could see this sung in some way, whether imaginary or realized. The end is quite the twist...left hanging in the air.

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pankrpec

• PS Silver Member
Re: Four short improvs
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:17:19 PM
Thanks for listening furtwaengler, and thanks for that little analysis, that tells me that you actually listened to the improvisations rather than just playing them in the background as I am guilty of doing most of the time. Not that I would be able to analyse anything.
All truths, not merely ideas, but truthful faces, truthful pictures or songs, are highly beautiful.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert