Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Am I ready for Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.2?  (Read 23400 times)

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Am I ready for Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.2?
on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:28 PM
Can I handle this piece? I really like it, especially the beautiful yet frightening (technically) Friska part. Does anybody have any advice? My signature is what I'm working on, and my repertoire:

Mozart Piano Sonata No.6 (1st mvt.)
Mozart Piano Sonata No.10 (1st mvt.)
Mozart Piano Sonata No.11 (3rd mvt.)
Chopin Fantasie-Impromptu Op.66
Chopin "Revolutionary" Etude Op.10 No.12
Liszt Liebestraum No.3

Also...how would the difficulty of Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 caompare with the difficulties with Liszt's Paganini Etude No.6 and Transcendental Etude No.10? Any advice/tips would be appreciated, thanks!  :)
Bach Prelude and Fugue BWV848
Beethoven Piano Sonata Op.13
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31
Mussorgsky "The Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Am I ready for Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.2?
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:50:39 PM
 what's the harm in just starting work on it and in a few months deciding if you're good enough to finish it or just deciding to 'table' it and look at it again some time in the future?

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:02:23 AM
what's the harm in just starting work on it and in a few months deciding if you're good enough to finish it or just deciding to 'table' it and look at it again some time in the future?

Awww...it's time consuming!!!! :'(
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:21:29 AM
but you'd be practicing and getting better all the same, that is, wheather you keep playing it or not, spending some time with very hard music can stretch and give you a boost in your progress as a pianist/musician.

just a thought. but i'd say go for it. you love the piece. it's fall you could say, okay im going to try to learn this between now and the end of the Christmas vacation/start of the Spring 2013 classes.  that give syou 3 solid months plus a period of increased practice time when you won't have school to really work hard at it.

and if you put it away after that, when you look at it again in the future, you'll already be familiar with its challenges, i.e know what to expect.

i don't really see a downside.  unless you have absolutely horrible technique and would hurt yourself but you can always start a project thread and post regular recordings and many of the fine pianists here could give you honest and very useful feedback. this is a great resource if you know how to use it, ie. beyond just asking about difficulty or listing pieces by composers, you can get a lot more out of it. just tyring to encourage you and help as it is very apparent you are enthusiastic about piano the music, i think it's fantastic and you should 'run with it' :)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:45:05 AM

Then you are not ready.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02:49 AM
but you'd be practicing and getting better all the same, that is, wheather you keep playing it or not, spending some time with very hard music can stretch and give you a boost in your progress as a pianist/musician.

just a thought. but i'd say go for it. you love the piece. it's fall you could say, okay im going to try to learn this between now and the end of the Christmas vacation/start of the Spring 2013 classes.  that give syou 3 solid months plus a period of increased practice time when you won't have school to really work hard at it.

and if you put it away after that, when you look at it again in the future, you'll already be familiar with its challenges, i.e know what to expect.

i don't really see a downside.  unless you have absolutely horrible technique and would hurt yourself but you can always start a project thread and post regular recordings and many of the fine pianists here could give you honest and very useful feedback. this is a great resource if you know how to use it, ie. beyond just asking about difficulty or listing pieces by composers, you can get a lot more out of it. just tyring to encourage you and help as it is very apparent you are enthusiastic about piano the music, i think it's fantastic and you should 'run with it' :)

Thanks 49410enrique you're the best! My technique isn't that bad...La Campanella isn't really a trouble for me so I guess I could try.  ;D

Then you are not ready.

So inspiring.
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:02:14 PM
Nobody is really ever ready for this piece.  But, I heard a 14 year old kid absolutely dominate this piece in a competition once.. so it can be done.  The challenge of this piece is in the RH tremolos in the Friska section.  Other than some crazy trilling during the Lassan section, there's really not much about it that's too hard.

It's an endurance race.  The trick is to stay relaxed the whole time so that you don't run out of gas before the end.  That's easier said than done.  I was 23 when I played this piece in a recital.  But I attempted to play it many times before (I took a shot at it when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school... but it didn't work out too well)

Like you said, it's time consuming.  It might not be a good idea to focus all your effort on one piece right now.  Your main objective should be to learn as much repertoire as you can - in order to build up a base.  You could seriously spend a year trying to learn HR #2 and have only mediocre results.  Just IMO

Doesn't hurt to pick at it now and then though.  Why not try an easier one like #11 or #13 (my all time favorite).  Even #15 is easier than #2 (in my opinion) - but it's still God awful hard.  The final three Rhapsodies (I can't remember their numbers) are good as well. They are a little bit shorter, less technical and less "gypsy-ish".. you might want to try those out as well.
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline chewbacha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:37:55 PM

+1, I completely agree with that post!  ;D

The best person to determine whether a piece is fit for you is definitely yourself! I see no harm in picking up the score from imslp and just reading through it to get a brief idea of whether you are able to play it.  

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:06:49 PM
No one is ever ready for the Hungarian Rhapsodies if they have to ask if they are ready -
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:27:21 PM
No one is ever ready for the Hungarian Rhapsodies if they have to ask if they are ready -

That probably only applies for you  :P.
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:52 PM
That probably only applies for you  :P.

It's always good to be unique then-

I don't even like the Hungarian Rhapsodies btw.  Flashy concert pieces don't really interest me that much -even if I could be bothered to learn them -

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 12:43:07 AM
I don't like them because they're flashy
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 06:38:42 AM

That is good to hear -I think a lot of virtuoso pieces could be simplified actually and not suffer musically  -There are pianists who enjoy big challenges and flashy playing and an audience for that -but it often leaves me cold -

Offline chewbacha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 08:34:36 AM

You don't like flashy pieces but you want to learn the HR no.2? :O

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 02:37:06 PM
I think Scherzo meant that he likes the piece for its musical qualities.

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 02:59:25 PM
I think Scherzo meant that he likes the piece for its musical qualities.

Exactly. The Friska melodies are so fun and exciting! I also like some parts of the Lassan too.
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31

Offline gearmenta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:12 PM
Well... The piece is demanding, and while it's not crazy difficult like other Liszt or Ravel, it's not too much to handle. Based on the repertoire you listed I don't think it's quite time for you.

Offline probably blue

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 02:48:09 AM
Legend says they are a master at Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 now!  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert