Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: NMOR Gabriela Montero improvises on "Now thank we all our God"  (Read 3690 times)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Gabriela Montero composes and plays in real time in front of a LIVE audience at the Gewandhaus, Leipzig, September 10th 2012. As a theme, an audience member had suggested a church hymn Gabriela does not know, "Now thank we all our God" (Nun danket alle Gott).

so just wanted to share a sweet performance of a 'classical' artist improvising on the spot. loved this especially since she was not familiar with the piece.

another

"improvises on her homeland, alluding musically to the sadness exprienced by many in an extreme climate of murder and corruption."

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. She's certainly one to keep an eye on. Very smooth, very accomplished. I liked the first section of the first piece best; it contained some very attractive changes. I don't know the tune at all, or whether the harmonies are traditional or her own, but one or two places and phrases are effective indeed.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
I think it'd be neat if this sort of thing became much more common in the classical world. I'd probably be more interested in following it in general again, it'd seem less like an army of robots marching off of an assembly line and more like, well, hate to say it, musicians.

Offline pankrpec

• PS Silver Member
Well, thankfully I am completely oblivious to the classical world. I know next to no performers and only a handful of authors.
I discover something new and joyful all the time, these improvsations certainly being one of those things.
But even I have already noticed some of the mechanical players out there, and much to my surprise, they are quite admired and revered. People can be so strange sometimes.
All truths, not merely ideas, but truthful faces, truthful pictures or songs, are highly beautiful.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
But even I have already noticed some of the mechanical players out there, and much to my surprise, they are quite admired and revered. People can be so strange sometimes.

Yes, this is the problem of our time.  Sanitized, lifeless playing that the establishment fosters.  I do like Montero, and her improvisation is a breath of fresh air.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. She's certainly one to keep an eye on. Very smooth, very accomplished. I liked the first section of the first piece best; it contained some very attractive changes. I don't know the tune at all, or whether the harmonies are traditional or her own, but one or two places and phrases are effective indeed.
OK, so it's all abit Lisztmaninov but by no means the worse for that - and it has a wonderful spontaneity and imagination and a far from indecent sense of structure across the whole; if only more pianists would essay this kind of thing, in public! Liszt would not have thought twice about applying his two magnificent hands to this kind of exercise, so why should any contemporary pianist shrink from doing so? Congratulations to Ms Montera!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert