Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Alarms  (Read 1829 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Alarms
on: January 04, 2013, 02:45:59 PM
No, I actually am looking to use these as alarms in my CD player/alarm clock.

I Recorded A Train. Nothing gets you out of bed in the morning like a giant freight train roaring through the room. This had no visible success in the audition room, and perhaps that was not the proper place for it anyhow, for it is not simply the great piano piece "Rails" by the little known Russian composer, Vladimir Deshevov, but it is "Rails" played at breakneck speed in an actual attempt to match the speed of the "Ding-dings" (as my friend's 5 year old/train enthusiast calls them) in my recording of an actual freight train, which I accomplished by placing my Zoom H2 in the middle of the tracks. I was extremely excited the night I successfully recorded this train and picked up the Zoom unharmed! It's only natural to then combine this event with Deshevov's Rails, don't you think!

Alarm. This other is from the tapes, and probably recorded sometime 2007 or 2008. It is pretty unforgiving both in the severity of the instrument, the severity of the tape's sound, and the unrelenting nature of one volcanic outburst after another. I always go back to storms and natural disasters...whether this a blizzard, a hurricane, or a volcano. Ah...it's a tape! What for subtle quotations of Prokofiev's 7th Sonata and Salonen's Dichotomie towards the end.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.