Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Schubert Wanderer Fantasy in C Major  (Read 8709 times)

Offline marik1

• PS Silver Member
Schubert Wanderer Fantasy in C Major
on: January 31, 2013, 05:16:23 PM
As Chopin Fantasy in f minor Op.49 this was the first and the only performance of the piece from the same concert.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert Wanderer Fantasy in C Major
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
As Chopin Fantasy in f minor Op.49 this was the first and the only performance of the piece from the same concert.

Schubert... My favorite composer.

After S. Richter's, this is probably the best Wanderer Fantasy I have heard. Sometimes a bit unstable rhythmically (a little too young and restless ;)), but that is something that can easily be forgiven with all the other qualities present...

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert Wonderer Fantasy in C Major
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:56 PM
I guess the "Wonderer" (!) fantasy is the love of my life.  I fell in love with it when I was 17.  And I've studied it, re-studied it, re-re-studied it, and if it kills me, I'm going to perform it one day!  It is a masterpiece.  I don't care what the detractors say.  
This was a splendid performance.  May I ask how old you were when you did it?  I think if I had to put the movements in order of preference, in your performance, it would be 3-1-2-4.  The third movement is the most difficult of all, I believe.  Technically you were really there.  And consequently so was the music.  Those "landler" motifs were absolutely delicious!!!  The pulsating rythm, the tone, the phrasing.  The first movement was also wonderful.  Those octaves posed no problems for you.  Not even the slightest "stentato"!!  
But this isn't a critique.  I just thorougly enjoyed your playing of this unique piece.
Why haven't you played it since?!  I'm assuming you're a concert pianist and the opportunity is certainly there to perform it.   Or have you fallen out of love with it?

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:00:39 AM
Hi Marik1,

Youthful performance or not, your playing was outstanding. Schubert, of course, was a transitional composer straddling the Viennese Classical style and the Romantic Age.  But in this piece I believe that his vision was transformational as he leaned more than ever toward romanticism.  This music demands so much technically and musically, including playing Schubert's heavy "orchestration", some virtuoso octave technique, voicing the big chords, bringing out the voice leading, phrasing the motifs--plus, well, stamina. For me it was very convincing indeed.  

David    
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:32:45 PM
Hello Mark1!!

Now that the teachers have spoken ... I must say from an audience point of view that your playing was very enjoyable ..... energetic and full of vigor!!!  I just wish my son will tackle this someday and play it as well as you do, being one of my all-time favorites!  CONGRATULATIONS on a job excellently done. I particularly like how you handled the 2nd movement. Personally, the way you played the "Wanderer Fantasy" is a REVELATION!!!!!

emill
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline the89thkey

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:57 PM
If this is a young pianist (student) playing this, I'm very much impressed. Not up to world class standards but definitely sounds professional, or at least to most people.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:36 PM
Not up to world class standards but definitely sounds professional, or at least to most people.

I wish you showed us something that is at least half as good as Marik1's playing. Don't you even realize how offensive and utterly unfair it is what you just said?

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:42:53 AM
If this is a young pianist (student) playing this, I'm very much impressed. Not up to world class standards but definitely sounds professional, or at least to most people.

Yeah - no offense... but considering these people are trying very hard to better their technique and are putting their credibility on the line to the users of this forum; while you continue to criticise almost every single person who puts up a recording on this forum and yet haven't proven your own talents...

Better than a lot of Campanellas I've seen out there. (I don't perform this piece because of the repeated notes in the middle section. I can do them, but they are a pain and get me scared of screwing up. Just an issue I have. :P)

So you're afraid of repeated notes in La Campanella, but...

I learned Rach 3 in a week, maybe a bit more, practicing 8 hours a day.

But you've bragged about learning this piece in about a week??? How full of crap are you? Not only are your words soiling this great forum, but you're comments are soiling this persons thread.

Offline pianovirus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:31 PM
I can only second what some others have said, e.g. emill: "energetic and full of vigor". There is so much life and youthful energy to be heard from your playing. I have only listened to the first movement so far (need to run off for now), but after also listening to your Chopin f minor fantasy from the same recital, I have to say you are a truly wonderful pianist! Still, like some others I can't understand that you didn't get back to these wonderful pieces after this recital. These pieces should go with one through a lifetime!!
youtube.com/user/pianovirus[/url]

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:29:21 AM
It's very good, more than good. It's a pity this was the only time you played in public this amazing work. I'd love to listen a more recent rendition of this by you. But this doesn't mean this one is not worth, on the contrary, it's a fantastic interpretation in any way.

Talking about some replies, while me myself can agree or disagree with some of the interpretative decisions of Marik (every one has his/her personality), I don't listen here to a simply "professional" playing (what an awful word referring to the marvelous music world), I listen to a true artist playing.

My respect, Marik. Congrats.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:12 AM
Welcome back pianist1976!  You've been missed!  What's up?

Offline illbebeethoven

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 09:32:38 AM
I made an account to comment on this! It's awesome!  ;D Sometimes the tempo changes sounded kind of weird to me, but when you got it right, MAN, you really hit it.  :D. Great Job!

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 10:20:46 AM

Fantastic! :)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:40 AM
Welcome back pianist1976!  You've been missed!  What's up?

Hi Birba! I'm very happy to hear you again (or read you) :) Here we go again.

Offline ade16

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 09:07:08 AM
My word, absolutely brilliant performance! I am learning this work at the moment, having been putting it off for years. Total respect!The last few pages in particular of the last movement are an absolute pig to play up to speed. Bravo!
 :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert