Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: December 17th, 2012, Part 2  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
December 17th, 2012, Part 2
on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:57 AM
I wish it was optional to write anything in the body of a post. If the music itself isn't saying something, I don't know what the point would be.  :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: December 17th, 2012, Part 2
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:31 PM
Yes, I understand this desire for text in the original post to be optional!  You can always put just a period or so.  I don't want to put my perception on your improvisation, but I'd like to at least comment about what I hear.  I am listening right now and enjoyed the "dramatic" opening, eventually leading into a portion in the higher register which had a kind of sweet feel to it.  I also enjoyed how your left hand kept a kind of suspense between "sections" at one point (sorry, I can't give minute markers as I listen just on the mechanism here).  Some fun scalar explorations that gave me ideas.  And then how it just kind of faded off and came to an end.  This is one thing I think about regarding improvisations in general, or something that's been on my mind anyway, are the use of cadences (or not).  I have almost no improvisations with a candence at the end (well, there is at least one which has it, maybe more).  Overall your improvisation was inspiring and idea-giving for me!
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert