Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Felix Mendelssohn , Spring Song - Video  (Read 2297 times)

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
Felix Mendelssohn , Spring Song - Video
on: January 01, 2014, 01:43:06 PM

Ashley plays Spring Song. It's a nice little piece.

Constructive comments are welcome.

Happy 2014 to all,
Abie.
The joy of music making!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Felix Mendelssohn , Spring Song - Video
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:48 AM
I thought this was a lovely rendition showing considerable musical sensitivity and maturity from one so young.

I am particularly impressed that Ashley plays this so comfortably and sweetly while reading from the score. Believe it or not, this is the true professional way!

Don't worry about the tiny stumble at 0:26 or the occasional non-speaking RH melody notes. These are minor insignificancies.

What is much more important is the lovely attention to the LH that I hear throughout.

This was played with real charm!

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:37:48 AM
Thank you very much for your lovely comments.

I really like how he plays spring song. This piece was the first one where Ashley used rubato. Most of the slips are my fault, as I asked him to play it after six months without practicing it.

Having said that, we're still looking for the magic potion that will allow one to play without mistakes, especially when the adrenaline kicks in in front of the camera or in public.

Saludos,
Abie.

The joy of music making!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:11 AM

Having said that, we're still looking for the magic potion that will allow one to play without mistakes, especially when the adrenaline kicks in in front of the camera or in public.

I've been playing for twenty years and have yet to find this potion of which you speak. ;)

My brother tells me beta-blockers work pretty well for controlling nervousness, but at the cost of much of the musical creativity that we have worked so hard to hone all of those years.

And Ashley is much too young to be taking drugs, of course. Don't worry about tiny slips! They  happen to the best professionals!

Offline klaviertraum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:46:07 PM
Fresh indeed, just like spring. My very vest wishes to Ashley.
(PS, Love the Botero's paintings on the wall)

G. 

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:00 AM
Is Mendelssohn so under rated? I don't think he has virtuosity and freedom like Chopin, or tormented music like Brahms, but my god, Mendelssohn somehow always seems to conjure the most pure beautiful melodies!!!

I think your son's playing is beautiful, or this song without words is beautiful, or both. I can't tell. The music is getting through 100% to the soul so that's all that matters :)

Are you concerned with wrong notes or your son?

I won't blow smoke, I hate wrong notes like poison. But at this age should this be the main area  of concentration or should technique building or something else.

Human beings have a tendency to desensitize. To drugs, for example, we don't feel the effect after a while and need more. So probably same with performance. Just do a ton of them and he will not get as nervous. But I wouldn't bring this up to him too much. It could take the fun out of things if you are too self critical, especially at this age no?

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert