Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Daniil Trifonov Rach 3  (Read 3833 times)

Offline pianosfun

• PS Silver Member
Daniil Trifonov Rach 3
on: January 14, 2014, 01:14:40 AM
Hello. I'm sure that many of you are already aware of this, but Daniil Trifonov performed the 3rd Rachmaninoff concerto last year in March I think. I haven't watched it, but it looks great. At the very end he's smiling like he always does and gives it all he's got.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Daniil Trifonov Rach 3
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:31 AM
I haven't watched it, but it looks great.

If you haven't watched it, how can you tell?  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline pianosfun

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:32 AM
If you haven't watched it, how can you tell?  ::)

Hahaha, you never fail to come up with something like that... It does help to narrow down a post to what it really is...

I watched about 3 minutes of the beginning, then went straight to the end where the piano and entire orchestra share the same melody.

Haha, this is sort of a hype. I really appreciate Trifonov's playing, but the fact that he played the Rach 3 recently (Finally -(just joking, haha)-) is something to talk about especially.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The encore pieces sound really good also. It's neat how he has that much earnestness to produce such good music.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I meant by the "Just joking" sentence is that Trifonov produces genuine music nearly every moment he plays the instrument. There are many things that he has accomplished that deserve much greater recognition than learning the Rach 3. I was using him learning the Rach 3 as a subject for humorous hype, which now I realize might be dangerous for music's sake.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:34 AM
the fact that he played the Rach 3 recently (Finally -(just joking, haha)-) is something to talk about especially.

Really? It seems to be flavour of the month of late. Every man, woman and small squirrel seems to have it on their concert list.  I can't believe they all really believe they have something interesting to say about it, and yet there are so many other great concerti out there languishing in obscurity.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline pianosfun

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:31 AM
Really? It seems to be flavour of the month of late. Every man, woman and small squirrel seems to have it on their concert list.  I can't believe they all really believe they have something interesting to say about it, and yet there are so many other great concerti out there languishing in obscurity.

Hmmm, that true. Maybe I should cut all the hype out. It is that hype associated with looks and such that is partly responsible for the tragedy. It also obscures what is true music and what is other stuff to observers. So not much more hype regarding music...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:35 AM
Every man, woman and small squirrel seems to have it on their concert list. 

I would be inclined to listen to it again if it were played by a small squirrel, but that is about the only way that would convince me to listen to it for about the 200th time.

Nobody has anything new to offer, it has all been done before and probably better.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:15:53 PM
He played it in Helsinki before x-mas and I watched it live on TV. He certainly sweat a lot!

For some reason I preferred his encore (Medtner's Fairy Tale a minor)...I guess I just am not such a big fan of Rach...

Offline ignaceii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:08:57 PM
Hmmm, that true. Maybe I should cut all the hype out. It is that hype associated with looks and such that is partly responsible for the tragedy. It also obscures what is true music and what is other stuff to observers. So not much more hype regarding music...
Very true indeed. I'm fed up with this rach 3. Wangs, Langs, chokotofs, everyone needs to do it.
At home I have a 3000 pages book with all the pianomusic there is explained.
I think not 1 % is played in concerts. Perhaps, here and there on obscure labels, exception for cpo, and some others.
But, look at their repertoire. You're right. Medtner is a newcomer, 1.
It is very poor in classics today. Beethoven all over.
It might mean the end for classical music one day. Thanks to the marketeers.
Popmusic reinvents itself every time. There is an enormous potential of unknown works that could serve the same cause as pop, that is, CHANGE.
Thanks pianosfun for your remark.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:43:23 PM
Medtner is a newcomer

Since he's been dead for 60 odd years, he's left his start a bit late.

Offline michaeljames

• PS Gold Member
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:05 PM
I had the privilege of seeing Daniil in an intimate setting (The Chopin Society of MN).  I sat on the stage very near to him.  His playing was/is exquisite, and his intensity is palpable.  He quite obviously loves everything about his instrument and it shows.

He's one of my favorite artists of the day.  As is Alessio Bax. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert