Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Wouldn't this piece sound 5 times better with right hand octaves?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member

Notice how she playes 1 note each time with her right hand. What if she took octaves?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Don't blame her, or Bizet. This is a transcription, so blame the transcribe.

That said, octaves would make it harder. With these "easier piano" type transcriptions you should feel free to embellish as your abilities and tastes dictate.

You probably should have the same freedom with the really show-offy  very advanced ones, too, but they're generally challenging enough without trying to add extra bits.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Don't blame her, or Bizet. This is a transcription, so blame the transcribe.

That said, octaves would make it harder. With these "easier piano" type transcriptions you should feel free to embellish as your abilities and tastes dictate.

You probably should have the same freedom with the really show-offy  very advanced ones, too, but they're generally challenging enough without trying to add extra bits.

The idea for using octaves in the right hand came from this:

The melody is much more powerful because of 4 hands, and I thought in my head; aren't these two guys playing the same notes for the 'awe' effect. So then I thought, maybe the lady doing this solo could do the same but with right hand octaves.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
I don't think that lady could handle octaves.

I hate it when they read stuff that should go in program notes.  A little is ok, maybe ten seconds, but... A quick reminder is ok.  The rest I can read up on if I want to.  *Bob had a bad experience of being stuck in an audience while the conductor read the entire program notes for the audience because the conductor didn't think the audience read program notes.*  I believe that was a three hour concert. 

There's got to be a better solo transcription of that.... Hmm....
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
(This is one of those!  Just lost my post....)

All right, piano duo.  Close enough.

Around 4:05 I hear Habanera.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
test

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
I don't think that lady could handle octaves.

There's got to be a better solo transcription of that.... Hmm....

I've searched a little bit. The duo that you posted is fine I guess, but the lady irks me for some reason. It's in her playing I think.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
She's "playing the piano!"
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert