Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Original Composition - Prelude in C Major  (Read 1326 times)

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Original Composition - Prelude in C Major
on: January 25, 2014, 02:54:37 PM
For the longest time, I have had a specific little tune in my head, and I never quite put it to sheet until now, because I hadn't quite thought of a way to develop it.

Though I do still use MIDI as a base form, I decided to use a soundfont so it wouldn't sound completely terrible. I'm also going to attach the PDF for the sheet, as I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding where to use the pedal and where not to use it, though I do wish for the majority of it to use the pedal.

Criticism is quite welcome.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Re: Original Composition - Prelude in C Major
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:27:59 PM
I can't really hear this as c major? I didn't listen to the whole thing, but the theme is certainly not in c major.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:22:43 PM
I can't really hear this as c major? I didn't listen to the whole thing, but the theme is certainly not in c major.

There are no black keys used in the piece. There aren't sharps or flats. How, then, is it not C Major?

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:20:25 PM
So I take that as a "No, I don't study theory". No white keys can also mean a minor... and d dorian, f lydian, g mixolydia etc. Study theory, it will help you with composition.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:08 PM
So I take that as a "No, I don't study theory". No white keys can also mean a minor... and d dorian, f lydian, g mixolydia etc. Study theory, it will help you with composition.

Generally, for something like this, I wouldn't write in something like Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian, or Phrygian modes. To me, it over-complicates what should be simple.

As for A minor, I didn't think about that until after I posted, but to me, I don't really find the two terribly different in characteristic.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:10:20 PM
I hate hate hate hate hate midis in the audition room. If you played it at half-speed on an out of tune piano recorded on a six-year-old camera phone, it would be a better fit.

The composition is oozing with naivete. You wrote a piece without any concept of music theory, and it's really obvious. Your harmonies, rhythms, and melodies are all very confusing and all I can do it reject them entirely. I don't think music needs to stick to majors and minors all the time, but your piece sounds like it wants to be tonal, or like a tourist trying a foreign language phrasebook without knowing the language.
It is (trying to be) in A minor, but if you want to avoid the discussion, don't include a key in the title.

Another drawback of midi is you can't see how unpianistic the writing is, it doesn't make sense to a hand.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:27:59 PM
I hate hate hate hate hate midis in the audition room. If you played it at half-speed on an out of tune piano recorded on a six-year-old camera phone, it would be a better fit.

The composition is oozing with naivete. You wrote a piece without any concept of music theory, and it's really obvious. Your harmonies, rhythms, and melodies are all very confusing and all I can do it reject them entirely. I don't think music needs to stick to majors and minors all the time, but your piece sounds like it wants to be tonal, or like a tourist trying a foreign language phrasebook without knowing the language.
It is (trying to be) in A minor, but if you want to avoid the discussion, don't include a key in the title.

Another drawback of midi is you can't see how unpianistic the writing is, it doesn't make sense to a hand.

I do find the analogy of the tourist to be very apropos here. I've said numerous times before that if there is a single instrument I can't compose at all on, it's piano. It is, indeed, a language I do not understand.

But that's part of the process here. It's not what you'd really call a final draft. There's still a lot of changes to make and parts to fix (like the pedal issue). I mean, honestly, I wouldn't really consider this complete, being fully with the pedal down. It just takes a while to fix these things. I have something I started in June, finished the rough draft of in July, and I'm still very far from done editing it.

Also, do remember it's a MIDI in name only.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:42 PM
Generally, for something like this, I wouldn't write in something like Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian, or Phrygian modes. To me, it over-complicates what should be simple.

As for A minor, I didn't think about that until after I posted, but to me, I don't really find the two terribly different in characteristic.
Sorry, it not about what you think. C major and A minor are two different thing. Something in a minor is not the same as c major.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:44:36 PM
Sorry, it not about what you think. C major and A minor are two different thing. Something in a minor is not the same as c major.

I'm stating that solely because, when it comes to signatures, I happen to go by Schubart's views (Which I can't agree enough with).

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:25 PM
yeah, Schubert made it clear if it's c major or a minor. He might modulate a lot but a piece that's clearly in a minor, isn't called c major.

Sorry to obsess a bit about this, but I can't imagine an actual composer (who writes, what s/he calls, original pieces) who doesn't know the difference between a minor and c major. Schubert might have been very flexible with tonalities, but that's a different case. He made c major sound gloomy and a minor shiny. You wrote this 'original piece' in clear a minor, and try to make it in c major, because you don't hear the difference. That's not what Schubert did.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:59:29 AM
I'm hearing a.  a Aeolian then?  (Can something be in a minor if there's no E dominant chord?)

Or it could be one of those concept pieces where the title is preparing the mind of the listener for something different. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:33:30 AM
yeah, Schubert made it clear if it's c major or a minor. He might modulate a lot but a piece that's clearly in a minor, isn't called c major.

Sorry to obsess a bit about this, but I can't imagine an actual composer (who writes, what s/he calls, original pieces) who doesn't know the difference between a minor and c major. Schubert might have been very flexible with tonalities, but that's a different case. He made c major sound gloomy and a minor shiny. You wrote this 'original piece' in clear a minor, and try to make it in c major, because you don't hear the difference. That's not what Schubert did.

Sure, I can't hear the difference between modes and key often enough. But I have ears that hear well enough that I know this isn't "shiny".

I'm hearing a.  a Aeolian then?  (Can something be in a minor if there's no E dominant chord?)

Or it could be one of those concept pieces where the title is preparing the mind of the listener for something different. 

You're right in saying this is a concept piece. An incomplete one at that. I'm going to stop myself there, whilst I am ahead.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert