Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: ok last one - Rachmaninoff prelude  (Read 1178 times)

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
ok last one - Rachmaninoff prelude
on: February 02, 2014, 09:04:58 AM
Thanks to awesom_o and steve who were critical in my last thread about this prelude. I just didn't get it...

Rachmaninoff is more of a blank canvas than I'm used to with Chopin who is mainly what I play.

With all these meno mossos and accelerandos, it's been difficult to allow myself to utilize them and be creative with it.

Now that I've digested and understand that I am allowed to make my own music with this prelude, I think I achieved a better performance. I am actually pretty happy with it.  I think it was for the best even though it was difficult to digest.

Now I took a much more free approach to tempo, which also allowed me to interpret this piece as a much more melancholy feel to it than previously. I like this prelude much more now hahaha

Offline stevenarmstrong

• PS Silver Member
Re: ok last one - Rachmaninoff prelude
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:40:15 AM
Immediately so much better! Seriously, wow. You immediately set the tone and kept it up. I knew right from the first bar that this was going to be good. Well done Noam! Seriously, what an improvement! So much more personal, I felt you were so much more connected with it and it was so much more lyrical. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Great job man! Keep striving for that delicate descending passage at the very end...still a little too much drive but way better :)
Debussy Preludes 1:4, 2:9.
Beethoven Op. 22
Medtner Op. 5
Shchedrin Basso Ostinato
Silvestrov Op. 2

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:58:02 PM
I like this prelude and I think you've got a nice sound for it.
Too many recordings play this too fast for my taste.
I wouldn't call it Prelude no. 12, since that groups all the preludes. The 12th one would then be op. 32 no. 1. So perhaps op. 32 no. 12 would fit better.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:42:03 PM
Great!

My only comment: when dynamic levels go up beyond F and into FF territory, make sure that you are producing the maximum possible musical sonority, and that you are never simply playing your loudest for a second or two.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert