Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Opus 10 No. 5, How do I clean this up before my recital  (Read 1189 times)

Offline sislermi

• PS Silver Member
I am no professional or anything, just want to clean this up real quick before I perform it this afternoon.  Any quick tips?  In this video I pretended it was the recital, gave myself just one try and pretended people were watching.

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Opus 10 No. 5, How do I clean this up before my recital
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:59:21 PM
You play it very nice!!! I'm sure you will impress alot of people with it.

All you can do in the next few hours is improve your mind and focus while performing. I can't give advice, but I am guessing remain calm and play it like you know how to play it.

In motorcycles there is a simple "rule" that applies to everything. When in doubt, throttle out.

In piano, you can never go wrong with practice without pedal, and dare I say with a metronome :)  Oldest trick in the book.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:26 PM
Any quick tips? 

Yes! Don't hide all of the good work you've done on this Etude by over-pedaling!

This piece sounds good when it's really clear and articulate.

It doesn't sound good when everything is blurry and mushy.

Don't sacrifice clarity and precision for speed.

I think your tempo was a little bit faster than you are ready for.

It's almost there!

Bravo

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:19 PM
100% agreed about less pedal, but it may be too risky and last minute to modify the piece to use less pedal at this point. Unless he has been practicing it alot without pedal already which I don't hear is the case.

You have flat fingers like Horowitz :) I wonder how this will work out on a piano that has heavier action than your piano. Like 55grams downweight. Horowitz usually played on his own piano which was 42grams, which is insanely, uncontrollably light, but with his style of flat fingered technique it worked pretty well.

You are bound to impress my friend :) your playing was very good, and if we didn't think you had the talent to make it better, we wouldn't tell you that it wasn't finished yet. Double edged sword huh??

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:10 PM
How did the recital go?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert