Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata No. 21 movement 1  (Read 1693 times)

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Sonata No. 21 movement 1
on: February 18, 2014, 08:55:20 PM

Offline noambenhamou

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata No. 21 movement 1
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:48:29 AM
Hahahaha. Nobody noticed this????

This is very good and polished!!!!  besides a few areas, that seem like a struggle because Beethoven is just difficult in this metrenomic tempo way.

You need to record this on a better piano. I'm positive you can do more with it if you had the right equipment...

Bravo!!!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:07:58 PM
I didn't like the facial perspective.

There is something in your approach to this piece that I don't care for. You play it without much difficulty, and it was very 'accurate'.

For me, the sound is slightly too dry in many places. The beginning for instance, is not marked staccato. But so many people play the opening chords staccato!

I felt as though the rhythm was driving forward in too one-dimensional a way, without enough "feeling" or "intensity of thought" given to the harmony.

It sounds polished but not heartfelt or individual enough. A tad businesslike. Perhaps the tempo could be a hair slower, but you could find greater flexibility and elasticity in the tempo? I don't think it needs to be quite so muscular-sounding/metronomic.

Well played, and thank you for posting!

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:22:39 AM
What I don't understand, is why this piece because such a pointless show-off piece? Not unlike, say, pastoral, it really starts from nothing. It's like the earth is created, and you hear it.
What you, and most people do, is 'Look how super fast and accurate I play it'. It's not even presto! I read somewhere (but I don't have the source, so you might disagree) that 'Allegro Con Brio' was generally the slowest of the marks, after Allegro moderato, and ma non troppo. I don't hear this tempo at all. For me, it sounds like 'Presto semplice', which is not even close to what he wrote. Everything also sound the same. How are the first note even close of being the same as those five notes in the high register.
Whatever happened to putting instruments to a piano score, and playing after that?

When did music become about fast and clear? Feelings seems to be very secondary...

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:44:12 PM
Sorry, I forgot..!

In that sense you obviously play it well. It's just that I want more from a piece like this
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert