Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Gillock-esque Compilation?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Gillock-esque Compilation?
on: February 24, 2014, 04:18:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to balanace a few of my students' classical methods with some more contemporary music.  I know of William Gillock, but that's about it.  Are there any books you could recommend that have a good mix of contemporary piano music for beginner students?  Unfortunately, all of the local music stores have closed. So, I don't have an opportunity to do much shopping around anymore and in the sea of music on Sheet Music Plus.com, I'm afraid I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.  Just to reiterate, these students are not advanced.  I'm just looking for music to spark their imagination a little.

Thanks!

Adam
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gillock-esque Compilation?
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:41 PM
There's a series called "Contemporary Collage" (which you can get from SMP) which appears designed just for your purpose.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline lilla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:12:53 PM
Take a look at Robert Vandall - especially his 3-volume Prelude books.  Also look at Catherine Rollin's Pathway to Artistry - 3 level with Rep, Coordinating Technique and Performance Books.  Rollin is all original compositions, but in the classical modes.

Offline dinulip

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:37:53 PM
Kabalevsky, Bartok, Maykapar, Gretchaninoff and Shostakovich have written loads of charming pieces for children.  It is worth looking at them!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert