Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart sonata K.333  (Read 4564 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Mozart sonata K.333
on: February 27, 2014, 04:40:42 AM
Just the first movement.

MOZART IS SOO FREAKING HARD!!!

You make ONE mistake and everyone can hear it!!!

There's like only 10 notes in the whole piece but there's like hella stuff going on!

Okay I'm done.

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart sonata K.333
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:56:25 AM

There's like only 10 notes in the whole piece but there's like hella stuff going on!

I only clicked on this thread because you were the post author. :P

Mozart frustrates me too. It's not just the wrong notes that stick out like a sore thumb, it's the imperfections in tone quality that are the worst. Occurrences of me playing an uneven/incorrectly voiced chord, or a chord in the wrong dynamic level are akin to glass shattering.

That said, I don't think I'm worthy of giving you criticism. Just popped in to say hi. ;D

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:05:04 AM
There are only like twelve notes in any piece.  ::)

It's a little fast for me, not much, but just enough to feel like your trying to get it over with as soon as possible.

Mind your appoggiaturas, they sound a little off to me, like your dragging the pulse on the grace note.

Where you have those three note figures and the first two are tied and the last two are staccato, the last two really are the same staccato. And some of those notes get lost volume-wise in your playing.

Don't like the rit at the end.

Other than that, fine job. You must be really loving the second movement, it's got all the issues you identified with Mozart, but on steroids.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:32 AM
It's not about the mistakes. Stupid people will care about the mistakes, other people will care about phrasing and instrumentation.

So.
The tempo is fine. The problem is never (almost) the tempo itself. The thing is that it's slightly heavy, which makes it sound slower than it is.

A few notes:
Try to make phrases sound differently. Like the first two. First there is a scale, and then sort of an . In the development, you do it quite well, but in the exposition, you don't really do it. Then it sounds just like the same, which takes away a lot from the theme.

Be careful so that you don't go slower in the end of phrases too. That's also a reason why it sounds too slow.

Some of your short notes are awfully short. In this type of music, you should try to think of orchestral music, or at least trio/quartet. A violin in an orchestra would never play a staccato note super short. Like the ones in the end of the first theme. They can't be that short.

Be sure to finish the phrases before you start a new one. it doesn't mean slowing down, but sometimes have a small cesura between.

Take care of your heavy/light notes (the slurs). Don't overdo it.

There are loud octaves, playing like a 7th chord, that are followed by a very soft line. (yes, sorry, I don't have bar numbers) Don't play the soft too soft. If you go really F to really P, it's always difficult to hear the beginning of the soft part.

And really, the wrong notes are nothing to worry about. Play the rest well, and people will forget about them.

You're doing fine.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:11:50 PM

Some of your short notes are awfully short. In this type of music, you should try to think of orchestral music, or at least trio/quartet. A violin in an orchestra would never play a staccato note super short. Like the ones in the end of the first theme. They can't be that short.

Be sure to finish the phrases before you start a new one. it doesn't mean slowing down, but sometimes have a small cesura between.

You're doing fine.

Some good advice here!

I think your performance needed to be more operatic. There were times when I thought  it could have been more rhythmic as well. Not bad overall, just a bit impatient-sounding.

This is my favourite recording of this piece, complete with the wild improvisations and wonderful rubatos! Listen to the crazy juxtaposition of total expressive freedom with complete tonal control!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:15:44 AM
Just the first movement.
Okay I'm done.   

hehheee ;D ;D  You are complaining like my son!

I have always felt the pianist's ability to bloom is hindered a lot by the rules of their game and their being too hard on themselves.  Us, regular audience are NOT bound by those and would react on how the music affects our moods and senses.  For me,  I felt GOOD listening to your rendition of this popular Mozart piece!!  THANKS!
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert