Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Szymanowski 2nd Sonata  (Read 1395 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Szymanowski 2nd Sonata
on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:43 AM
This is only the first movement, and the recordings are from April 27th, 2013, the first a truly haunting setting on the the beautiful old Steinway D at the museum at a rainy Cheekwood Botanical Gardens. The second is from a duel recital I did later that night with a soprano in her hometown of Huntsville. The piano there was a fussy, rocked out Yamaha C7, lol. I had also played the Bach-Brahms Chaconne and Feinberg's Berceuse in addition to the accompanying, both of which were very hard to control on that instrument. By the time I got to the Szymanowski I'd decided to remove all restraint regarding the instrument and plowed straight through.

I had shared these recordings on Piano World earlier, but am bringing them here so others may discover this great sonata. Enjoy!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Szymanowski 2nd Sonata
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:29:03 AM
Congratulations on performing such a monumental work! The piano sounds great. Also, props for playing the Bach-Brahms Chaconne instead of the hackneyed Busoni version!

You've done a tremendous job with the Szymanowski. What a huge piece!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:16:52 AM
Thanks a lot awesom_o! I enjoy the Busoni version when played well (Jorge Bolet's performance at Carnegie Hall), but Brahms's left handed version is a tremendously satisfying and puts the performer a little closer to the challenges and power of Bach's partita. I will surely want to go back to it to see if I can truly master it.

Offline feinbergs

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:13:34 AM
I love Szymanowski's monumental works.... Thank you for this nice performance!

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 04:08:09 PM
Terrific. Committed, engaging playing, and in places very exciting.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:51:57 PM
Wow! This was my first hearing of the piece but you kept me engaged the whole time! I really enjoyed the power behind your playing along with the wonderful phrasing! Very good! I will explore this piece more now.
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:04:41 AM
The second is from a duel recital I did later that night with a soprano in her hometown of Huntsville. The piano there was a fussy, rocked out Yamaha C7, lol. I had also played the Bach-Brahms Chaconne and Feinberg's Berceuse in addition to the accompanying, both of which were very hard to control on that instrument. By the time I got to the Szymanowski I'd decided to remove all restraint regarding the instrument and plowed straight through. I had shared these recordings on Piano World earlier, but am bringing them here so others may discover this great sonata. Enjoy!

Hello Dave ... it has been a while.. :)

Over the years you have posted some pieces played in pianos which were "terrible" ... like those pieces in "nursing homes or homes for the elderly" or recorded your playing with the recorder in your pocket (which created a lot of noises)  ;D :D ;D so that I am not surprised with your "plowing straight through". ;D

Thanks for posting again (and expanding my music horizon)!  I wish you would post also Bach-Brahms Chaconne and Feinberg's Berceuse ...

stephen
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:39:06 AM
Bravo!  This piece and your performance are very insistent, but also awash in a luxurious late romanticism too. The texture of the idiom is very dense indeed, making it a challenge to elevate and propel the huge melodious chords that often form the musical line over and through a rich and lush polyphony.  What a wonderful performance!  And the venerable old Steinway assisted in maintaining an overall glorious sound. It's all most impressive. My hat is off to you.  Thanks for posting your recording here! I'm going to listen to it again!  

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:31:21 AM
Thanks guys for your kind thoughts, and yes it has been awhile. It sure is nice to check in and see some of the same people posting here.

Over the years you have posted some pieces played in pianos which were "terrible" ... like those pieces in "nursing homes or homes for the elderly" or recorded your playing with the recorder in your pocket (which created a lot of noises)  ;D :D ;D so that I am not surprised with your "plowing straight through". ;D

You're right I've play on some really bad instruments with some borderline comical outcomes. In some ways I enjoy the challenge of trying to find the music in any instrument, but in the case of this C7 in Huntsville, I was just plain frustrated at it's difficulty - I had to give up all my ideas about the pieces just to make it work...alas...

Thanks for posting again (and expanding my music horizon)!  I wish you would post also Bach-Brahms Chaconne and Feinberg's Berceuse ...

Thanks for listening and offering the opportunity. I'll think about posting the others, though a much better recording of the Feinberg is already in the archives somewhere. Does Enzo play the Bach-Busoni Chaconne?

Bravo!  This piece and your performance are very insistent, but also awash in a luxurious late romanticism too. The texture of the idiom is very dense indeed, making it a challenge to elevate and propel the huge melodious chords that often form the musical line over and through a rich and lush polyphony.  What a wonderful performance!  And the venerable old Steinway assisted in maintaining an overall glorious sound. It's all most impressive. My hat is off to you.  Thanks for posting your recording here! I'm going to listen to it again!   

David

Thanks a lot, David. It's great to hear from you, and I always enjoy your descriptions!

Dave

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 04:55:52 AM
Hi Dave,

It's so good to hear your recordings here again.  Arthur Rubinstein often included Szymanowski on his programs to help his Polish countryman to be better known by audiences.  I would say that it helped, but it was a long, slow process which is often the case.  I would venture to say that Szymanowski's music finally turned the corner about 30 years ago. Your performance of the sonata here certainly raises awareness more, as pianists seemingly mostly play the etudes.  Looking forward to your next recording!

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 06:57:10 AM
Hi Dave,

It's so good to hear you your recordings here again.  Arthur Rubinstein often included Szymanowski on his programs to help his Polish countryman to be better known by audiences.  I would say that it helped, but it was a long, slow process which is often the case.  I would venture to say that Szymanowski's music finally turned the corner about 30 years ago. Your performance of the sonata here certainly raises awareness more, as pianists seemingly mostly play the etudes.  Looking forward to your next recording!

David

Thanks David. Sviatoslav Richter was the major champion of this piece, especially in the 1950's and 1980's when he was presenting full recitals of Szymanowski's music. His scattered concert recordings are highly recommended. Rubinstein apparently made alterations to the score to better suite his hands, which Szymanowski approved...a practice I think its good for us to know existed. I'd love to hear Rubinstein play this. His recording of select mazurkas and the 4th Symphony are really special.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:07 PM
Does Enzo play the Bach-Busoni Chaconne?
Dave

He has just recently learned the piece and I initially posted it here, but he called me to defer posting since, according to him a lot of the dynamics were lost. He recorded it using his Ipad and in MONO ... it sounded like coming from a tunnel in some areas.  He will send me a 2nd audio which he simultaneously used using an Olympus voice recorder similar to that which you placed in your pocket to record some pieces. ;D :D ;D  I hope the dynamics will improve after mixing so that he will be satisfied enough to have it posted. THANKS again!! 
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert