Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: BACH - Chaconne in D Minor, BWV 1004 - Busoni transcription  (Read 2573 times)

Offline enzopiano

• PS Silver Member
hi,
I would appreciate your comments on this piece which I am now learning
together with other pieces for my jury exams this coming April.  Thank you.

sorry the audio is not good and many dynamics lost. I used my ipad.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: BACH - Chaconne in D Minor, BWV 1004 - Busoni transcription
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 05:55:24 AM
This is extremely well played, with well judged tempo relations, style, and structure. It's very fitting for Busoni's transcription, and there are some very appealing choices in voicing which I've never heard before. My two critiques are first, the beginning must be bigger. I know you've got a scheme going to emphasize the climaxes of the piece, which you do very powerfully, but the very opening statement needs to be huge as well. It cannot be that soft and sweet. Check out how Milstein grabs the opening:

The second critique is regarding the retard toward the end, right before the triplets. I think it's too much and cuts off the essential momentum entering the triplets. I love that you took this version rather than the ossia, but it needs to be more dramatic in its crescendo, truly one of the greatest crescendos and transitions in all of music. If you can work the momentum out here you will really solidify a great interpretation of this chaconne.

Congratulations on all your hard work!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline enzopiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: BACH - Chaconne in D Minor, BWV 1004 - Busoni transcription
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:04 AM
Great suggestions toward the end of the piece and especially the beginning which is how many pianists approach it. Thank you for taking the time listening and for these 2 suggestions!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert