Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Could you help me?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline jimf

• PS Silver Member
Could you help me?
on: March 15, 2014, 08:37:06 PM
Hi again! For quite many years I have been considering becoming a conductor... I am currently 18 years old and I have my piano diploma and my harmony, theory and counterpoint degree... Do you think I could first study something else, e.g. Physics and then study to become a conductor?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could you help me?
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:27:55 PM
I'd do the other way around; First study conducting, and then physics.
The reason is that music is a competitive business, and your age might matter at your entrance exam.
Physics is different. It doesn't matter if you're older. In some cases it's even better.

But talk to the conducting teacher of the school you plan to apply to. Don't say that you will study physics afterwards, just ask about the entrance exams.

Offline jimf

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could you help me?
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:24:56 PM
Thanks, but don't you think I could achieve becoming an orchestra conductor after getting another degree? I ask because I cannot apply to a music university this year...

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert