Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Tips for Chopin Polonaise No. 6 A-flat Major Op. 53  (Read 2412 times)

Offline lance132

Tips for Chopin Polonaise No. 6 A-flat Major Op. 53
on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:13 AM
I need some advice for some areas in the Heroic Polonaise. I've been playing this piece off and on for a while now. I just picked it back up 2 months ago after not playing it for a year, give or take.
I can play it well except for a few parts that still bother me once in a while. There are 2 areas I would like some advice on how to practice them.

1)The very first page with those fast chromatic runs still bothers me once in awhile.
2)The left hand octave part. I'm able to play it, but I run out of energy and I need to find a way that I can play so that I don't tire out. It needs to be comfortable.

Offline schwartzer

Re: Tips for Chopin Polonaise No. 6 A-flat Major Op. 53
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:00 AM
About the fast ascending chromatic scales, I believe it's all about practice. Play it several times before you play the entire polonaise.

Now about the left hand octaves, my hands also get very tired. They are tense throughout the whole passage. But then I use the arpeggios in the beggining of the section to relax them. Then, they recover pretty quickly since the left hand in the next part is pretty simple.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert