Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Harmonically rich "easy" piece suggestions?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Harmonically rich "easy" piece suggestions?
on: March 28, 2014, 06:10:09 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for pieces that contain diminished, augmented, major 7ths, modulations, etc. that are "relatively easy" to play.

For example, Chopin's prelude in c minor has a G7+5 and jumps around the circle of 5ths to neighboring keys. Nothing much harder that this would be great.

I am very fond of his prelude in e minor. Beautiful, just beautiful yet not a killer for me at all to play. I like the suspensions and resolutions in Nadia's Theme. There is a gorgeous nocturne by Mona Rejino with an incredible combination of harmony and melody.

I can't describe exactly what I am looking for but will try.

It should have an amazing SOUNDING harmonically rich left hand. The right hand melody should be relatively easy. Preferably, with some double notes here and there. An occasional right hand chord or two or not. Something like this. I will know it when I hear it or see it.

I find these pieces so moving, Joe.

P.S. These must be real authentic compositions, not watered down and no method book pieces.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Re: Harmonically rich "easy" piece suggestions?
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:17:37 PM
My students like these-

The video has 8 pieces, so let it play out.

Offline malede

Re: Harmonically rich "easy" piece suggestions?
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:06:24 PM
I can't recommend a few particular of Scriabin's preludes well enough.

This is Prelude 22 no 1.

Perhaps a little out of your usual but hauntingly beautiful, and tempo doesn't need to be fast.

There's Prelude 16 no 4.

This is excellent if you want to end your session in a contemplative mood.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert