Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I can play the piano  (Read 2389 times)

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
I can play the piano
on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:32 PM
Someone I know told me they can play the  piano.   I have heard them and they are not as advanced as me.  They are at the beginning of their journey. 

I can play the  piano to an extent but I would not say I can play a piano because I still need the guidance of my teacher and there are things about playing I do not yet know how to do.

For instance, this person had no idea that in a piano exam you need to do an Aurul as well as play the piano and when I showed this person my piano exam books, he looked a bit bewildered as if to say,, oh this is hard.

Some people really do like to blow their own trumpet......

So what about anyone here..... when would you say with confidence that you can play  the piano.. when you can play twinkle twinkle little star? lol

Offline schwartzer

Re: I can play the piano
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:41 PM
Interesting question.

Following the ABRSM standards, I'd say a person can say she really plays the piano after grade 3-4.

Perhaps an easier way to say this would be if a person knows the basics of piano theory. All chord variations, what scales are, chord inversions, some simplish time signatures and a repertoire containing something like 5 REAL pieces.

I have a friend who says he can play the piano, but all he does is sing along 3 chord's pop music. You know, the "let it be" and "hey jude" way of life.

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:59:32 PM
I am up to Grade 4 ABRSM but if you look at Grades 5 -8, there are skills in those grades I have not got, so NO, I cannot play the piano.   I cannot do very fast runs for instance.

Offline schwartzer

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:20 PM
It's a pretty relative question. I find it to be pretty hard to answer. But I'd like to try nonetheless.

A person who can play Twinkle twinkle little star, a basic pop song, Mary had a little lamb and such pieces wouldn't be considered truly a piano player FOR ME. Sure we all have to start somewhere, but anyone could learn such pieces in an hour or two.

Now when you get to read sheet music, understand dynamics and key signatures is when you really start to play the piano. For example, a person who plays Bach's minuet in G would already be considered a piano player for me, provided it's not the only piece they can play.

A piano player is also always improving. If you simply memorized 3 pieces and take no formal lessons, or you're not willing to improve anymore, I wouldn't consider you a piano player. Just a person with enough time to memorize 3 pieces and nothing else. A person like this usually wouldn't pay proper attention to dynamics, and most likely would butcher the piece.

I'd like to see what other people have to say about this.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 11:33:29 PM
Anyone can play the piano. It's a simple keyboard, and if you hit it, it "plays".

The question  is "How well?", which is both an external validation ("you play nicely" or you pass grade whatever) and a personal one (I can play whatever I like).

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline in31l

Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:21:56 AM
Jeez, how stuck up is this forum? He's not blowing his own trumpet at all, I think you're just entitled.

I've never taken a test in my life, I just play piano for fun. But am I not playing piano? I probably know how to play 5-10 classical pieces properly, and I'm in the middle of learning how to play Clair de Lune right now. Yet, I don't know what is on any test, nor do I care. I never plan to take one, and that's perfectly fine with me. I don't play the piano for anyone, I do it for myself because it's fun.

I find it sad that you're scoffing at someone because they can't play as well as you. And to accuse them of blowing their own horn is even worse. I agree with the poster above me. It's about how well you can play. If you can play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, you can play the piano. No need for a condescending "lol". On another note, your username is contradictory of your post, Mr. pianoplayer51. In fact, you're contradicting yourself in the post, "I can play the piano to an extent but I would not say I can play a piano". So you can play the piano to an extent, but you can't play a piano? I'm not sure that makes much sense.

Offline in31l

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:16 AM

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:58 AM
I did not mean it to sound stuck up.  I can play to an intermediate level.   I hope to get better..That is all.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:04:05 AM
I accept anyone who says they can play piano. It's very easy to do, you just hit some notes and it makes the sound! I make sure to let my piano students know to answer "yes" to that question no matter their level.
Same thing with languages, I "speak" English, Norwegian, Spanish, and Japanese with varying ability.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:15:55 AM
IME, if I say I can play the piano, people expect me to play the piano.  They do not, however, expect me to play very well nor do they expect the kind of repertoire only pianists are aware of.  They want to hear things they've heard before, such as Rondo alla Turca, or the Moonlight sonata, maybe even Happy Birthday.

If someone says that they can play the piano, my first thought is, "what kind of music/style?"  If they say classical, I'm intrigued.  If they reply pop, then I don't know how to continue the conversation because most of the pop pianists I've heard don't sound very good.

Offline in31l

Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 04:01:41 AM
I did not mean it to sound stuck up.  I can play to an intermediate level.   I hope to get better..That is all.

Then you should learn better communication skills. You sound very condescending. If your post is true, all it sounds like your friend said was that he could play the piano. Then you say "Some people really do like to blow their own trumpet......" as if he had any intention of being a braggart. So someone is blowing their own trumpet, getting all high and mighty (supposedly), because they simply said they could play the piano?

Now, if your friend said, "I am definitely one of the best piano players I know. I can play dozens of classical pieces, most of them you've probably never heard of." Then I would say he's blowing his own horn. Simply stating that you can play the piano is by no means, blowing your own horn.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:09:22 AM
So if I get this right,  good pianists can play the piano, middle range pianists play trumpet, and lousy pianists play horn?  :-\
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline in31l

Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 08:05:33 AM
So if I get this right,  good pianists can play the piano, middle range pianists play trumpet, and lousy pianists play horn?  :-\

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. No one can play the piano.

Offline markchallen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:31 AM
Then you should learn better communication skills. You sound very condescending.

I don't think pianoplayer51 sounded condescending at all. If anything then humble.

Offline kevin69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 01:41:06 PM
Anyone can play the piano. It's a simple keyboard, and if you hit it, it "plays".

The question  is "How well?", which is both an external validation ("you play nicely" or you pass grade whatever) and a personal one (I can play whatever I like).

+1.

I think that if you can play well enough that you enjoy your own performances and some others enjoy listening to you perform, then you can regard yourself as a musician.

Offline gregh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 08:39:40 PM
If anyone asks me, I tell them that I play WITH the piano.

Offline in31l

Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 10:29:30 PM
I don't think pianoplayer51 sounded condescending at all. If anything then humble.

I think accusing someone of blowing their own horn after simply stating they could play the piano is a prime example of being condescending. Not sure how you got humbleness from that. But whatever, I don't want to dwell on it too long. I've spent enough time here not contributing to the thread's original purpose.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert