Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Finally, one 'helpful answer' to: How to drown out noisy neighbors while playing  (Read 5926 times)

Offline czernyragtimepianoplayer

:)I've finally found a somewhat reasonable solution to help 'ME' to drown-out my very noisy too talkative 'back-bitting' 'nit-picking' about my piano playing neighbors living directly above 'ME'.
Plus all of the other terrible 'noise pollution' going on every day right outside my 2nd floor apartment, the cars, the people chatting, the noisy kids playing, etc., etc.......on and on....!
I got on-line and found a great pair of "Industrial" type "Noise Dampening Headphone", I'm wearing them right now as I type this, so that I don't have to listen or rather 'over-hear' the little kids right directly above me 'complain & belly ache' about me typing on 'MY' computer in 'MY' home for Heaven sakes....  I wear my new headphones anytime I want much more NO NOISE..!  I wear then while I'm reading my favorite novel, or better yet over-viewing my regularly used piano study books....  But, mostly I am now wearing these terrific "NOISE REDUCTION DAMPENING HEADPHONES" while I play my 42 in. upright piano, and I've also taken the liberty of removing BOTH the top 'cover wood board', and the 'bottom larger board', so as to make 'MY' piano sound as LOUD AS POSSIBLE (Oh, no heart feelings here:), and I've had my piano's hammers so they're moved back more so they have a heavy LOUDER action, and all of the 88 keys all seem a bit 'heavier' in playing 'action', which I think is all-to-the-good, yes indeed..!  So, now I'm fighting fire with fire ;)  Now, my only hope is that they don't get so loud that they still bother me even with my headphones on -- at that point I'll put some really nice "Sound Proofing" on all 5 of my piano room walls, including the 5th wall, that being my ceiling!  Fortunately, I can still hear myself 'play' at 'MY' piano very nicely, BUT i don't hear anything else but 'me' playing 'my' piano -- and that's all I ever need to hear while i'm in intense playing on 'my' piano in 'my' home, yes indeed! ;) :) ;D :) :D :) :)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
  I'm wearing them right now as I type this, so that I don't have to listen or rather 'over-hear' the little kids right directly above me 'complain & belly ache' about me typing on 'MY' computer in 'MY' home for Heaven sakes.... 

Maybe I misread you but if you actually think they can hear/are complaining about you typing on a computer you might need to check that you are not actually hearing voices in your head...Your building is not made of paper?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
I play my 42 in. upright piano, and I've also taken the liberty of removing BOTH the top 'cover wood board', and the 'bottom larger board', so as to make 'MY' piano sound as LOUD AS POSSIBLE (Oh, no heart feelings here:), and I've had my piano's hammers so they're moved back more so they have a heavy LOUDER action, and all of the 88 keys all seem a bit 'heavier' in playing 'action', which I think is all-to-the-good, yes indeed..! 

Those headphones are gonna make it difficult to hear them sneak up behind you with a large blunt instrument.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline lazyfingers

and I've also taken the liberty of removing BOTH the top 'cover wood board', and the 'bottom larger board', so as to make 'MY' piano sound as LOUD AS POSSIBLE (Oh, no heart feelings here:), and I've had my piano's hammers so they're moved back more so they have a heavy LOUDER action, and all of the 88 keys all seem a bit 'heavier' in playing 'action', which I think is all-to-the-good, yes indeed..!  So, now I'm fighting fire with fire ;) 
Much as it might be enjoyable to return fire, does your local area have any residential noise pollution legislation? It is generally not advisable to run foul of the law (unless you really have to or can get away with).  ;D

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
:)I've finally found a somewhat reasonable solution to help 'ME' to drown-out my very noisy too talkative 'back-bitting' 'nit-picking' about my piano playing neighbors living directly above 'ME'.
Plus all of the other terrible 'noise pollution' going on every day right outside my 2nd floor apartment, the cars, the people chatting, the noisy kids playing, etc., etc.......on and on....!
I got on-line and found a great pair of "Industrial" type "Noise Dampening Headphone", I'm wearing them right now as I type this, so that I don't have to listen or rather 'over-hear' the little kids right directly above me 'complain & belly ache' about me typing on 'MY' computer in 'MY' home for Heaven sakes....  I wear my new headphones anytime I want much more NO NOISE..!  I wear then while I'm reading my favorite novel, or better yet over-viewing my regularly used piano study books....  But, mostly I am now wearing these terrific "NOISE REDUCTION DAMPENING HEADPHONES" while I play my 42 in. upright piano, and I've also taken the liberty of removing BOTH the top 'cover wood board', and the 'bottom larger board', so as to make 'MY' piano sound as LOUD AS POSSIBLE (Oh, no heart feelings here:), and I've had my piano's hammers so they're moved back more so they have a heavy LOUDER action, and all of the 88 keys all seem a bit 'heavier' in playing 'action', which I think is all-to-the-good, yes indeed..!  So, now I'm fighting fire with fire ;)  Now, my only hope is that they don't get so loud that they still bother me even with my headphones on -- at that point I'll put some really nice "Sound Proofing" on all 5 of my piano room walls, including the 5th wall, that being my ceiling!  Fortunately, I can still hear myself 'play' at 'MY' piano very nicely, BUT i don't hear anything else but 'me' playing 'my' piano -- and that's all I ever need to hear while i'm in intense playing on 'my' piano in 'my' home, yes indeed! ;) :) ;D :) :D :) :)

I don't regularly address strangers this way, but you sound like 1000x the dick that your neighbours are. I honestly hope that you have a good psychiatrist or councellor, otherwise it's people like you that become dangerous within a community.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member

;D  ;D  ;D You are a funny person!  :D I was pretty sure you were joking when I read your first thread about hearing your neighbours while you play the piano. But now I know you're joking...  ;D  :P but it is a really good idea... wait I'll try to think of something like this too!!!  :P will post something as soon as possible. I mean with the kind of neighbours we have it should be easy!  :P

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Earplugs are interesting to experiment with.  No joke there.  It gives you a different perspective.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert