Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Up with Hanon! Hanon works just GREAT for 'me'....  (Read 1625 times)

Offline czernyragtimepianoplayer

Up with Hanon! Hanon works just GREAT for 'me'....
on: April 09, 2014, 04:13:34 AM
Yes, I very strongly feel that C.L. Hanon Studies in it's own 60 exercises, or 'edited' say like the John Schaum or John Thompson shorter 'edited' Hanon studies are not only a great 'diversion' to help go along with or 'without' doing your Czerny Studies and/or 24 Major/minor Harmonic Scales, but I find Hanon to be not only very good for 'my' technical worries, but I also find Hanon to be very recreational & relaxing - one must be careful not to play Hanon too fast, nor too slow, the most important thing is like C.L. Hanon and many other teachers always tell you is to keep your fingers playing 'high' with your very best 'striking' postions in mind, focus on doing Hanon mostly very very strict and smooth as perfect as possible 'legato', and after, only after you've mastered all of your Hanon in this way should you start changing your 'rythum' a bit more gradually, then one can play say with the right hand doing 'legato', left hand playing 'staccato', or both hands together playing Hanon 'staccato', use any manner in which is best for YOU!  *Final Note: "Only play what YOU love, and play it the way YOU love it."  Never mind what the heck anybody else 'thinks' or 'likes' you to do it this way or that way, or their way, etc., etc....  Do it "YOUR WAY", and tell all those other "STUFFY FAT PROVINCIAL SNOBS", well, tell them to: Only say 'nice' things, or don't say anything at all!  In short use YOUR best judgement, your the one whom must decide in the very end anyways - no matter what it is in life you're dealing with, okay....  As for me i'll be playing/studying Hanon up until my last breath!  My 'choice', and my 'choice' alone...!!!  Play what "YOU" love, and play whatever it is "YOU" play, play it the "WAY" in which "YOU" love to play it, it's that simple!  This 'method' makes piano practice/study/playing so much "FUN!", that you'll always 'look forwards', with a 'smile & glad heart' to going back each, and every day, to play on with your piano forever, no matter who or what....   Wishing YOU ALL --> "A WONDERFUL LIFE OF PIANO!"

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Up with Hanon! Hanon works just GREAT for 'me'....
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:20:55 AM
Since you posted this exact same rant in another thread just yesterday, one can only assume that too much Hanon rots the brain.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:31:57 AM
Since you posted this exact same rant in another thread just yesterday, one can only assume that too much Hanon rots the brain.  ::)

Or at least ruins one's ability to write readable text...

Offline czernyragtimepianoplayer

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:40:08 AM
Hey, outin, perhaps you should study more of reading and less of whatever you do with your piano...

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:00 AM

Yes, I'm glad I don't live in the apartment above him and have to listen to hours of Hanon.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 05:59:55 PM
Hey, outin, perhaps you should study more of reading and less of whatever you do with your piano...

Since I have studied reading for decades and what I do with the piano much less, I think I'll do the opposite :)

Offline rdueck

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:32:18 PM
I was trained to play Hannon in contrary motion a major sixth apart-RH beginning on C4, and the LH on E3.  This helped with wrist rotation/position.  I found it to be helpful for playing Mozart.

Just my two cent's worth...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:26 PM
Just my two cent's worth...

You'd probably get three if you'd also learnt to spell his name.  ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert