Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How to study for the technichal side of piano?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline 100mm

How to study for the technichal side of piano?
on: April 11, 2014, 05:03:07 PM
Hi everyone!! First of all I would like to introduce you to my problem:  ;D

I got piano lessons when I was eight, I was pretty ok I guess but just like most of the kids, I got bored easily and I stopped playing it. Recently I started playing again and I have no problem reading the notes, rhythm etc. and though I'm slow at smoothing out the kinks in my performance, I can eventually get it moderately right somehow.

But this time I'm a bit more serious about playing piano and I want to learn the theoretical part too, instead of having to search for info everytime I see something new in a note sheet.

Can you suggest me a good book, or maybe websites if you know any, for learning scales, keys, arpeggios etc.? I do not have a teacher and I don't really think I can afford one right now either and I never really got any lessons on music theory or anything but I really want to learn everything I can teach myself at home and I'm ready to give my hours to it.

Big big thanks to everyone who helps!! :)

Offline schwartzer

Re: How to study for the technichal side of piano?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18:24 PM
You can easily find scales, chords and key names on wikipedia.

But be sure not to only focus on these things. These won't teach you much. You have to play pieces. I'd recommend learning how to read music sheets and trying some easy pieces like Bach's Minute in G. It's a pretty easy piece and pretty much everyone played this piece in the beggining of their piano adventure.

Also, unless you're only playing Bach, be sure to get a 88 weighted keys piano.

Offline 100mm

Re: How to study for the technichal side of piano?
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:11:31 AM
You can easily find scales, chords and key names on wikipedia.

But be sure not to only focus on these things. These won't teach you much. You have to play pieces. I'd recommend learning how to read music sheets and trying some easy pieces like Bach's Minute in G. It's a pretty easy piece and pretty much everyone played this piece in the beggining of their piano adventure.

Also, unless you're only playing Bach, be sure to get a 88 weighted keys piano.

I do have an 88 keys piano and I really don't have a big problem about reading the note sheets, for ex. right now I'm playing The Heart Ask Pleasure First by Michael Nyman and not so complicated things but I have problems about geting through the piece quickly because I lack practice.

And most people says knowing these elements will polish my technique and that scales will strenghten my fingers.

Though yes, I can look up throught the internet, I thought maybe someone would know some place that have them listed under titles or something or some other ideas.

As you can see I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to these things.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert