Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What is acceptable when playing from sheet? Were is the limit?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline musicioso

• PS Silver Member
Hallo guys

I have a question. When i listen to a couple of interpretations of one piece, i realize those are too far from how its written. The pianists change the tempo, and the rhythm too much, its hard to explain, but i hope you know what i mean.

And now my question is when is a piece played wrong and when is it a matter of interpretation. Where is the border?

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member

And now my question is when is a piece played wrong and when is it a matter of interpretation. Where is the border?

If you can't dance to it anymore, it's too much.

Lesser amounts may also be too much, but this test is certain. 
Tim

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
I think it would be unwise -- at best -- to say that there is a specific limit, as that implies that there is some sort of outside authority to set that limit.  Which there really isn't.

However, there is an authority of sorts: a combination of the composer's intentions, as indicated in the score (tempo markings, dynamic markings -- sometimes comments, even the title!) and a knowledge of what the composer's intentions beyond that might have been, as indicated by the performing style and characteristics of the era in which the piece was written.

Thus the performer needs to not only know enough about playing to accurately read and interpret the markings in the score, but also she or he needs to know enough about the general characteristics of the music to be able to judge what the composer probably had in mind -- in other words, a firm grasp of music history and the music of the time and place.

This is not to say that one should attempt to slavishly interpret and reproduce what the composer meant.  Sometimes that works; some of the early music groups do a marvelous job, for instance.  Sometimes it doesn't -- it would be very hard to convince me that a slavishly accurate performance of the Beethoven concerto #5, Emperor, on a period instrument with a period band would be better than a performance on a modern concert grand and full orchestra (although it would be interesting...). 

So then what I am saying is that there often is quite a bit of room for interpretation, and whether a given interpretation is "too far from how it's written" is to a great extent a matter of taste and current performing custom (which changes from time to time!).

I suppose the real bottom line on it is a two fold question: does my interpretation bring out what I think the composer had in mind, and does it say what I want to say with the piece?
Ian

Offline musicioso

• PS Silver Member
Interesting  stuff. Thank you!

Offline gregh

• PS Silver Member
Hallo guys

I have a question. When i listen to a couple of interpretations of one piece, i realize those are too far from how its written. The pianists change the tempo, and the rhythm too much, its hard to explain, but i hope you know what i mean.

It depends on who you're playing for, I suppose. If it's a jazz set, you don't even need to play the right notes! You're expected to make a piece your own, play it in a way that it's never been played before.

Now, Mozart? If it's a jazz set, you don't even need to play the right notes! Anywhere else people will probably be a little more opinionated about whether you're playing it right. But it does make me wonder why some music is expected to have a more restricted interpretation. And you could recast Mozart for rock band (that has been done) and nobody would call you on it because it would be clear that you're playing with it, but if played in a typical ensemble there are certain expectations.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
I think we should stop treating the "old composer's" work as if they were sacred.

If your "interpretation" is good to listen at, then it is good. I'd say, do what you like with the piece, no matter how many wrinkled noses you see. When you play it, it is YOUR piece. But I would, in order to be fair, call it "a free interpretation of X" instead of calling it "X by Mozart". If you call it the latter, I think the best thing is to stick to the sheet music the best you possibly can. 

Offline musicioso

• PS Silver Member
Thanks guys, really appreciate your replies!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert