Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Speed practice?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline mysterium

Speed practice?
on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:33 PM
I´m currently working on the last movement of Beethovens third cello sonata in A major and I´m having problems when it comes to playing the really fast parts, especially in the left hand. Furthermore, the instrument on which it later will be performed has pretty "slow" keys.

My question is simply: what is your most efficient way to practice speed? Increasing the tempo slightly day by day? Practicing small groups of notes?

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Speed practice?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:30 PM
I'm definitely an amateur, so take this with a grain of salt. I find it more helpful to break up a fast passage into short overlapping fragments and practice the fragments separately and then put them back together at a fast tempo, rather than to play the whole thing slowly and gradually work up to speed.

Offline pianoman8

Re: Speed practice?
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:50:16 AM
I would like to start off by saying I have never heard the piece your playing. First, the less tension you have in your hand/arm/shoulder/etc., the faster, more powerful, and better you can play a passage. If you are playing fast, you cannot play with your fingers lifting high off the keyboard. They should be curved.  1.Try separating the parts into smaller 1 beat groups and practice slowly. 2. Try practice long-short-long, short-short-long, etc. All different rhythms. 3. Make sure you are playing deep into the key for each note you hit. 4. Practice slowly concentrated hand alone so that you watch absolutely every note the left hand slowly and firmly hits. In general for speed, it really helps if you can practice everyday, just like anything else. Hopefully I could help:)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert