Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545... HELP!  (Read 1768 times)

Offline lonelybird97

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545... HELP!
on: April 19, 2014, 12:26:38 AM
Good evening.
I'm trying to learn Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545. It didn't seem too hard at the beginning, but I've encountered a couple of difficulties that makes it just sound like a big mess. Could anybody give me some sort of advice? Thanks!
P.S. I can't read music, btw.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545... HELP!
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 06:53:41 AM
Good evening.
I'm trying to learn Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545. It didn't seem too hard at the beginning, but I've encountered a couple of difficulties that makes it just sound like a big mess. Could anybody give me some sort of advice? Thanks!
P.S. I can't read music, btw.

Yes, that's the deal with Mozart: it's deceptively "easy". Relatively easy to read and memorize; except for a few places you don't get the complex counterpoint you find usually in Bach, there are no leaps, no ultra complex textures, there are many scales, melodies and Alberti's accompaniments... but it's terribly difficult to play well. Just as Arthur Schnabel said, "The sonatas of Mozart are unique; they are too easy for children, and too difficult for artists".

A few advices:

- The first one and in my humble opinion the most sensible and urgent: learn to read scores. I think it's great you can learn things by tutorials, synesthesia and ear, you must be very talented but (I think this is so obvious) nothing can substitute the composer's score reading.

- Practice slowly

- Listen to yourself while you play

- Read the score and correct the rhythm (and everything else)

- Use a metronome

- Look for a teacher. Don't waste your time and talent figuring out while there are people who already know how.

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:05:21 PM
As suggested before, getting a teacher would really help you improve your interpretation.
Working with a metronome, or playing the whole piece at the speed of the slowest section, would definitely make a big difference.
The joy of music making!

Offline lonelybird97

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:34 PM
Thanks for your responses! I will certainly consider getting a teacher.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert