Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Pianists pushing tempo  (Read 1587 times)

Offline buatti

• PS Silver Member
Pianists pushing tempo
on: April 21, 2014, 03:46:56 AM
Hi there,

First post to the forum but I'm sure it won't be my last!

I was curious if anyone else has come across this issue. I have a tendency to race my playing. It's nothing too drastic but I can find myself a few clicks faster by the end of the piece.

I am a musical theatre accompanist and this can affect my count in for bands and live performance as well as speed up within the piece.

Any insight on the matter or techniques to keep a steady pulse, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pianists pushing tempo
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:47 AM
Metronome.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:24 AM
listen to recordings of yourself playing, that will make it more obvious 2 u and help u fix it yo try to improve ur tempo it will be clear if u improved or no in the recording yo

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:27:14 AM
You have issues with muscular tension due to poor technique, hence the rushing.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:36 AM
Metronome.

+1

Also be more aware, put more attention to the sounds you are producing while you play. Listen to your piano, not to your mind and to what you ideally think it's sounding while you play (they usually mismatch...). This sounds like an obvious advice but few people really does it, they usually put the autopilot and forget. Also, as someone else pointed, it can be an invaluable help recording yourself.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:27 PM

Any insight on the matter or techniques to keep a steady pulse, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Learn how to play and count the beats out loud simultaneously!  :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:46 PM
As much as it pains me to say this: metronome, silent with blinky light.  I've attended musicals where the piano/conductor used a silent metronome for every single piece. 

In the bigger scheme of things the metronome only fixes the symptoms, and not the causes of why you tend to speed up.  You need to move toward a state of awareness where the music and sound take president.  Make adjustments to the tempo according to what sounds correct, and resist the temptation to choose a tempo that feels comfortable to the fingers or lets you cover up any technical deficiencies. 
Use your ear to guide you.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:49:15 PM
I used to have this issue too when i was young. Playing with other people fixed it for me, so i gues a metronome probably helps too. For solo, also try to pay attention -where- you start rushing things, certain parts often seem to trigger it. If you are aware of those parts it gets easier to get control of yourself.
1+1=11

Offline seanrb

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:36:39 PM
As mentioned already, the metronome oftentimes is like taking a cough syrup - temporary relief. Sometimes more long-lasting than others; sometimes more effective on certain pieces than others. Poor consistency of rhythm is a sign of miscommunication between physical movements and your ears...or a lack of communication. In other words (at the most fundamental level), you are making motions to soon or too late. You must use your ears to control your technic in order to prevent that from happening. The metronome can be a useful tool to gaining this control if you are not simply listening for your music to lineup with the click, but consciously observing how you move your body to keep with the metronome. This type of metronome work requires great concentration and is best done in small sections at a time. A little cerebral and bizarre, but that's my philosophy anyways!

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:15 PM
I struggle with the same thing. Recording myself helps a lot. I've also learned to not be so nervous in performing, and I tap my left foot when accompanying to keep a steady tempo.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert