Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Video: W. A. Mozart, Sonata No. 16 in C Major: I.  (Read 1662 times)

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
Video: W. A. Mozart, Sonata No. 16 in C Major: I.
on: April 26, 2014, 08:46:12 PM

Ashley plays his first Mozart piece. So far the "diet" had consisted of mostly Beethoven and Bach.

He's still trying to get the hang of the lighter touch Mozart requires.

The joy of music making!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Video: W. A. Mozart, Sonata No. 16 in C Major: I.
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:07:29 PM
Beautiful!

Of course, the sound could be more refined. But even if the sound is a little too meaty overall, it is better to start with the solid, rhythmic, well-controlled touch as he displays here, than  to start with a lighter, more superficial touch, which many youngsters seem to gravitate towards!

What Ashley has here is the foundation of good, virtuoso classical playing.

Great work! Now he can relax with the music a bit-have a little more fun with it, so to speak! It's very well-behaved, very serious. There is more humor, and more musical flexibility that he can begin to explore now that he has mastered it to such a fine degree and performed it with such polish and confidence!

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
Re: Video: W. A. Mozart, Sonata No. 16 in C Major: I.
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:35:11 AM
Thanks for your kind comments, you are awesom_o

It's been quite touching to witness his technique develop, but at the same time humbling, knowing these are just the foundations.

A few weeks ago the teacher said, after he worked so hard on his pieces, that she was about to start building up. Imagine his face of surprise and delight!

Saludos,
Abie
The joy of music making!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert