Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: J.S. Bach invention 12  (Read 1082 times)

Offline anaqvi

• PS Silver Member

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: J.S. Bach invention 12
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:28:38 AM
Nice work!

Your LH trills sound like they are causing you some difficulty. The RH trills sound lovely.

Forgive me for asking such a bluntly-worded question, but does your LH struggle in aspects of life unrelated to the piano?

Can you write, draw, brush your teeth, or throw a ball with your LH?

I recommend to all of my pupils the study of juggling in order to gain independence of the hands, which is of great benefit in all musical endeavors, especially the Baroque!

Offline anaqvi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:20 PM
I've considered learning to write with my left hand. I've read cpe bachs book on keyboard playing and one quote I liked was , the lh should be practiced more diligently and intelligently than the rh." I bet gould spent more time on his rh seeing how he was left handed. I also can trill better on a grand piano as opposed to an upright I recorded this on. So I'm going to learn to write with my left and continue to spend more time just practicing the left hand. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:44:00 PM
Great! Learn to write using both hands in either direction, left to right, right to left, and also in contrary motion (both hands simultaneously going in opposite directions).

Can you juggle?

Offline anaqvi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:45:16 PM
Yes only three ball though lol. Should I learn with more?

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:38 PM
There are many, many things you must learn to do with 3 balls besides the basic pattern.

Of course you should learn more! 5 ball cascade is SO fun to do!  ;)

Offline anaqvi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:49 PM
Earlier you asked if I ever played a harpsichord. I never have. I want to one day though. Also a clavichord just because it was j.s. Bach's favorite instrument. I have noticed though that what piano you use to play Bach makes a big difference. Some pianos are just not good for his music. The best ones are chickerings but they are so hard to find.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:32 PM
Yes, clavichord is a wonderful instrument! I'm buying a harpsichord soon! My favorite instrument on which to play Bach's music is of course the cello, and I am a finer scholar of his work upon that instrument than I am upon the piano.

On the piano, I prefer to play music of the French Baroque masters-Rameau, Couperin, and others.

Absolutely, the piano matters. I grew up with a Chickering-all of my practicing from age 9 to 18 was done on a Chickering grand. I'm glad I have a Steinway now, however.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert