Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Polonaise in F-Sharp Minor, Op. 44  (Read 1240 times)

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Polonaise in F-Sharp Minor, Op. 44
on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:40 PM
From my MM recital.

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Polonaise in F-Sharp Minor, Op. 44
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:27:41 AM
It sounds wonderful.

I never knew that Chopin wrote in this style.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:29:04 AM
My favorite polonaise, and you did a great job!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:54:13 AM
Bravo!

A very lengthy Polonaise that eludes many in terms of interpretive depiction of structure.

Under your hands, the work seems wonderfully concise. Reminded me in many places of Horowitz, which is a great thing with this piece (he played it so powerfully).

I like how you use rubato. You never disturb the pulse, which is where so many people go wrong.

I love how your focus remains calm and collected despite having a few minor 'mistakes'. It takes real professionalism to do that musically, and tiny slip-offs are virtually impossible to avoid in this particular piece if one chooses to play it with real gusto.

Perhaps the mega octave jump in both hands (from F#'s to A's, crossing a hellish amount of space in an instant) could have been executed with greater speed, so that the hands land accurately upon the A's before they play. It is possible to do it without sounding cautious, with enough practice.

Bah! A minor quibble in what was all in all an EXCELLENT performance.
You must post more of your playing! What else did you have on your program?

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:42:42 PM
Thanks for listening and for the kind comments, everyone.  I also played Haydn's F Minor Variations, a Liebermann Nocturne, along with some Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Bortkiewicz pieces.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:20:01 AM
It sounds like you're struggling through it.  It lacks the necessary "pop" to bring out the music.  Poorly chosen articulation at places and excess pedal.  It also drags.  6/10
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert