Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Dante Fantasy  (Read 1452 times)

Offline lisztarian

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Dante Fantasy
on: May 14, 2014, 10:58:15 PM
Hello my fellow pianists,

It feels great coming back here again. Before we start I'd like to give some information about the recital where this recording took place:

Date: 19 March 2014 at 7 pm
Performer: Faisal Al-Bahairi (me)

Concert Program:

Bach - Prelude and Fugue in C minor (WTC I)
Beethoven- Piano Sonata Op.10, No.1 in C minor
Bach/Silotti - Prelude in B minor
Liszt - Dante Fantasy (A.K.A Dante Sonata)

Back to Liszt. This is by far the most difficult work I've played (even more demanding than Liszt's 1st concerto both physically and mentally). It took me around 4 months from scratch and I must note that I had no lessons with anyone studying this (""probably"" because my piano professor "private teaching for I studied English Literature" literally stated that she had no faith in me doing this work, saying this is too big for me and she won't help me with it because its pointless). So basically, everything here is what I imagined the work back then. I would appreciate some insight from you helping me to make this work even better with time.

Thanks a lot for your time and I understand this is a bit long work so apologies for taking your time in advance.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Dante Fantasy
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:26:09 PM
I liked it! Congratulations on pushing yourself. I don't care much about wrong notes if I know the pianist has a personal passion for the piece.
What does your instuctor think of what you've done with Dante?

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:25:01 PM
The strong opening motive died as it went on, especially at the repeat.  It continued to die until the furious part where the weak right hand 8ve melody was overshadowed by the left hand. 

Some parts had unsteady transitions of tempo even within the same sections, especially the closing section where there were too many changes in tempo over a very short time.

The very final cadence should be faster; it was dying in energy.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
Lovely venue, I wish I could have a recital somewhere like that!

Have you recorded your other pieces?  I wouldn't comment on the piece simply because I don't know enough about it and for some reason I just don't warm to it, although I am a big fan of pieces such as Liebestraum No 3, La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsodies, Un Sospiro.
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert