Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Scott Joplin - The Maple Leaf Rag  (Read 8567 times)

Offline 20yearbreak

Scott Joplin - The Maple Leaf Rag
on: May 15, 2014, 02:41:36 AM
I wanted to post these for fun and comments.  Don't expect anything amazing.  Piano is great and I'm still playing after a long long break.  Still playing ragtime.  Here are some videos if anyone is curious:

The Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin - Everyone knows this one.  I was doing pretty decent (at least for me) until the end.  :)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scott Joplin - The Maple Leaf Rag
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:07:46 AM
Play it faster.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:14:52 AM
I think you will play this really well after a while because you can obviously feel the accents and the rhythm. Your main problems appear to be physical, not musical, and practice will fix them. You could try playing more lightly and loosely, almost staccato, you might find that requires much less effort without sacrificing the rhythm. Leaning into ragtime legato fashion is very tiring, as I have found to my cost in the past.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:17:33 AM
As already stated it should be played a bit faster, and your right hand should be played more evenly: The octaves are being played much louder than the other notes, you hardly hear them.

Good luck!

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:39:00 PM
Perhaps your connection or computer is slow.

My computer is fine.  Most musical issues can be solved with playing faster.  This prevents ideas from dragging = boring listeners.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:46 PM
My computer is fine.  Most musical issues can be solved with playing faster.  This prevents ideas from dragging = boring listeners.
If you think tempo is the issue, then you're simply not good enough. Tempo is almost always secondary. It can sound slow because it's dragging, or fast because it's rushing... loads of other options are also possible. But to simply play something faster won't solve a thing.

The reason in this recording is simply that it's very heavy. Not all notes can be equally loud.
The first beat is the loudest, then the third, and then second and third. You play all beats loud, and even the notes between the beats are loud. That gives the impression that there are beats everywhere, which makes it sound slow.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. It's obviously in 2/4. But the idea stays the same. 1 is heavy, second is light. The first beat of the next bar is heavy, but not as heavy as the first in the previous, and the second beat in the second bar is light.

2/4   HEAVY, light | Half-heavy, light | HEAVY....|

Then you can make some variation here and there, but this is the base.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:44:39 PM
Most musical issues can be solved with playing faster. 

I'm framing that one.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:00 PM
I'm framing that one.

Wise choice.  Most people play too slowly to begin with, probably because they haven't sorted the musical aspects.  They should already hear it in their minds, not their ears when they play.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:31 PM
They should already hear it in their minds, not their ears when they play.

I do agree with that... To an extant. Obviously dnit everyone is going to be able to do that and it shouldn't stop people from playing. But it does yield best results when you can hear it exactly how you want it played in your head... That's also part of why I'm never pleased 100% with my playing of a certain piece. It's not quite how I hear it in my head but if I get it as close as possible then I'm proud
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:32 AM
It's possible that the reason it doesn't sound the way you imagine it is due to the condition of the piano.  A poorly voiced and regulated piano can sound terrible but a marvelously maintained one can sound fantastically sublime.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 05:40:44 PM
My piano is voiced and regulated really well, I just set these mountainous standards for myself.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:48:40 PM
Oh, so you can't blame the piano then.  ;)

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 06:03:31 PM
Oh, so you can't blame the piano then.  ;)

Exactly!
But the good news with my ridiculous standards is that I always have the best performance of it in my head.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert