Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Ballade No.1 in G Minor, Op 23  (Read 2017 times)

Offline kerryblue

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Ballade No.1 in G Minor, Op 23
on: May 22, 2014, 06:14:49 AM
Mislav Ivaci (16 y.o.)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Ballade No.1 in G Minor, Op 23
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:26:00 AM
1:55 - rhythm is off during this section, funky hesitations throughout
2:30 - sounds like keyboard dabbling, loses momentum into the lyrical section.

6:00 - more forward moment and expression; faster and louder.
7:00 - RH accelerates the motive which changes the perceived tempo and character.

General comment about dynamics, maybe it's an issue with the piano not being easily powerful, but it sounded like loud parts weren't loud enough.  I'm pretty certain this is a technical issue, specifically it would be much easier to increase dynamics if you sat higher.

Otherwise, pretty decent control over tone.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Ballade No.1 in G Minor, Op 23
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:24:19 PM
I thought it was quite good playing in general.

My biggest concern was that the treatment of the rhythm seemed a touch idiosyncratic at times.

Rhythmic idiosyncrasy can be a difficult thing to pull off even for a mature pianist who has already earned tens of thousands of dollars playing on the concert stage. For a young pianist, it is probably best to iron out those areas, especially if you are intending to perform for financial gain.

It is good to play in a way that is personally unique, but never to the point that people perceive the fundamental pulse as being disturbed.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert