Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: [video] A Beautiful Storm  (Read 1095 times)

Offline alex_kid

[video] A Beautiful Storm
on: May 30, 2014, 08:54:36 PM
This is such a wonderful composition that isn't known by many people. I tried my very best to give it a suiting expression, but feedback on how to play it better is always very welcome!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: [video] A Beautiful Storm
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:53:12 PM
It sounds nice.  Pretty decent performance, too.

There are places in the short introduction that should surge forward to build up the tension; e.g. ~0:05", ~0:11", ~0:18". In general, just faster to provide forward momentum so it doesn't dwell in the intro.

In terms of dynamic contrast, there are places where it should be much louder, e.g. ~1:48-, and much softer, e.g. 2:32-.  Here at 2:32, due to the change in unexpected harmony, you can have much greater expressive pull if you subito pp and quickly crescendo so that it blooms into life, like a tension release. At 2:12, the RH should be softer since it's just repeating an ostinato, but it can gradually crescendo as the LH joins in.

The E, F, G (and related) motive - I'm not certain that it should be the same dynamic level because it feels static.  It almost feels like it should crescendo, E<F<G, but I'm not certain this is the correct interpretation.

The final winding down, 2:54,  feels like more care should be placed in the gradual slowing.  It doesn't sound perfectly right for some reason.  I think it sounds like it's played in blocks so it's almost kind of clunky instead of a smooth transition.  I don't know if you hear what I mean.

Otherwise, pretty good choice of tempo.  I can hear the longing sadness in it.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline alex_kid

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:00 PM
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, exactly what i was looking for!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:57:52 AM
I'm listening to Jennifer's performance of it.  She isn't consistent with how she plays that three-note recurring motive, however, she plays a decrescendo at times (either intentionally or unintentionally) and I think it's the best interpretation: D>E>F.  Musically, I think this has the effect of a pulsing which is more musically interesting than a constant dynamic level.

Offline alex_kid

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:48:19 PM
I've just been trying out some variations of the recurring theme and you are right, decrescendo seems the best way to play it.
And like you mentioned, at the ending I should have slowed down a bit more gradually so it ends less abrupt.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert