Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: New Pieces!! :)  (Read 3070 times)

Offline gracefulpianist14

New Pieces!! :)
on: June 07, 2014, 03:09:22 AM
Hi! I am a student at an intermediate level, my piano teacher takes off for summer and starts lessons again in the fall. She assigned me some pieces to work on during the summer, but I'm asking for suggestions on what (other) pieces I should work on. I love playing piano and I've taken lessons for about 4 1/2 years. Here are the pieces I'm working on, or just finished working on (in the past 2 months):
Bach - Invention no. 8
Bach - Invention no. 1
Chopin - Prelude in E minor
Chopin - Prelude in C minor
Chopin - Prelude in B minor
Beethoven - Fur Elise (original)
Clementi - Sonatina no. 1, 3, 4, and 6
Kuhlau - Sonatina op. 20 no. 1

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: New Pieces!! :)
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:15:06 AM
Summer breaks are great for getting extra just for fun work in.  How about something with a impressionistic flavor to it

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
Thanks for replying! I like playing music from all different genres and eras. This is a beautiful piece. :) btw the other pieces I forgot to mention (that I've been playing) are: Valse Sentimente by Schubert, and Gymnopedie no. 1 by Sadie. I would really like to learn some pieces by Debussy, and Bach Preludes and Fugues. I also love music from the classical era (like sonatinas and sonatas). You see, I'd really like to be a music major (probably piano performance) and I'd like to study as much good music as I can while I'm still in high school (I'll be a freshman next semester). Any suggestions are welcome!! Thank you all so much!

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 04:06:22 PM
Work toward completing the set of Bach Inventions. They really are a set of miniature masterpieces- short, but extremely rewarding, both in technical development and musical satisfaction.

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:50:20 PM
Yes, they really are! Thanks!! I shall go work on one now. :)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:01 AM
Look in specific at Bach Invention 13. Also, I believe that at this point you may be ready for the raindrop prelude (op 28/15) by Chopin. Maybe look at some video game music; I don't know if you like pokemon or not, but there's a great jazz piece called Sootopolis city I'm working on, but it may well be too difficult for you. It's swing in 9/8 time, quite interesting.

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 12:20:57 AM
Sweet! I will look at the first two (if not all) of those. I've always loved (listening to) raindrop prelude but I've never sight-read it before. Thanks!! :)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 12:37:50 AM
If you want, shoot me an email (harrisonrichter01@gmail.com) and I'll send you a list of great video game music, and a list of great classical pieces to learn from. It looks like you're on a good route of learning. Do you have a teacher, or are you self taught? You probably said but I'm far too lazy to scroll up, yet not too lazy to type my response. Logic.

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 02:09:56 PM
Thanks! I will not be able to send you an e-mail (personal reasons). but could you post the pieces on the forum? (if that wouldn't be to much trouble)  :) I do have a teacher, but she only teaches during the school year . (and takes off for summer.)

Offline worov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 07:40:30 AM
Try this one :

Easy, nice and short !

Offline dianebrowns

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 11:17:21 AM
Hi Grace,

Try this Broken Chord Ballad

;)

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:12:27 PM

It's a suite written for children by the Turkish composer Ahmet Adnan Saygun. But I still enjoy playing the tranquil movements:
İnci (Girl's name- Pearl)
Masal (Fairy Tale)
Rüya (Dream)
Ninni (Lullaby)

Offline kaystephaniex

Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:58 AM
How about a nice contemporary piece by a Korean composer?

River Flows in You - Yiruma
"When it comes to dreams, one may falter, but the only way to fail is to abandon them."
-- Count Dracula

Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:33 PM
Hi! Thanks for you all's
 replies! That suite sounds awesome! I love River Flows in You, actually it's one of the pieces I was learning during Winter semester! One of my favorite pieces ever, (I still play it for fun) :)

Offline kaystephaniex

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:22:01 AM
Hi! Thanks for you all's
 replies! That suite sounds awesome! I love River Flows in You, actually it's one of the pieces I was learning during Winter semester! One of my favorite pieces ever, (I still play it for fun) :)

Ah, well then, try Kiss The Rain also by Yiruma.
"When it comes to dreams, one may falter, but the only way to fail is to abandon them."
-- Count Dracula

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 01:27:19 PM
a nice contemporary piece by a Korean composer

This is also a nice contemporary piece by a Korean composer:
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert