Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Dance of the Gnomes - Liszt  (Read 1767 times)

Offline koopakool

• PS Silver Member
Dance of the Gnomes - Liszt
on: June 08, 2014, 03:20:35 AM
Not Umi Garrett but getting there  ;D

Any comments are welcomed

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Re: Dance of the Gnomes - Liszt
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
It's very nice! I was considering this for my next Liszt, but my RH isn't doing well with the early-on A major sixteenth-notey part. I feel like this piece would be pretty easy if I had two extra fingers, or if my 3 and 5 could stretch an octave.

Offline pover

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:21:56 PM
Nice!! Really enjoyed it!

I'm wondering if I can ever attempt this piece... seems extremely challenging to play it with the required lightness etc. How long have you been playing, and how long did this piece take you? :P

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:38 PM
It could be a bit faster.

The gnome theme is clipped and accented so it sounds like skipping off; it should be smoother.  Expression is non-existent, <> would help greatly.

Offline koopakool

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:59:09 PM
It could be a bit faster.

The gnome theme is clipped and accented so it sounds like skipping off; it should be smoother.  Expression is non-existent, <> would help greatly.

Agreed  ;D Been only 3 weeks since I started learning this, it's not mature at all. Choppy and too slow indeed. As for expression I'm trying but it needs an extra effort to render on digital coldness. Thanks for the honest remark ;)

Offline koopakool

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:07:49 PM
Nice!! Really enjoyed it!

I'm wondering if I can ever attempt this piece... seems extremely challenging to play it with the required lightness etc. How long have you been playing, and how long did this piece take you? :P

Go ahead! Looks way more challenging than it really is. It's an easy Liszt really, the speed is the difficulty but it still sounds nice when played slower.

Offline pover

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:06:33 AM
Go ahead! Looks way more challenging than it really is. It's an easy Liszt really, the speed is the difficulty but it still sounds nice when played slower.

Which would you say is harder, this or Un Sospiro? I know difficulty is subjective, but in general?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert