Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Piano Sonata in A minor, K. 310, Movement 1  (Read 2089 times)

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Just posting my last and final recording of this piece. Here is my opinion on this sonata. So I started it and it was a bit of a leap for me. I feel that it was a growth piece and has expanded my technique enormously. I had my final recital with it on Sunday and it was relieving. I am so happy to be done with it even though it is truly an amazing piece. I'm ready to post this up (sorry for the out of tune piano).

Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Piano Sonata in A minor, K. 310, Movement 1
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:32 AM
There's an incorrect execution of the appoggiatura in the principal theme.  It's to be executed as 1/8th notes.  Character of the movement was not captured; it's angry.  An exclamation of WHY!!!!!???  Mozart wrote this after someone's death.

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:03:00 AM
I've never heard it executed as an 8th note? Only a 16th note.

Also I agree I could have worked more on the emotion of it but I did not know it was written after someone's death.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:39 PM
That's why it's important to do some research on the composer and their work! Mozart wrote this sonata shortly after his mother's death so it is not far fetched to assume he poured his emotional torment into this work. It is one of only two sonatas Mozart wrote in minor.

I disagree about the 1/8th note. In my urtext the appoggiatura is a 1/16th, and it is usually executed that way. Your way of doing it is fine IMO.

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:39:54 PM
Thank you, I cannot believe I didn't think to look into it!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:53:20 PM
Good job, cometear. You are making progress with this one!

I think faulty_damper would be more happy if you played the appoggiatura ON the beat rather than BEFORE the beat, regardless of the length being either that of an 8th or a 16th note. It will sound a bit better ON the beat than before.

Here are two fascinating performances that give two very different perspectives on the work:

One of the performances is somewhat 'slow' and the other is somewhat 'fast', but both manage to convey a remarkable level of musical intensity-something which I would like to hear more of in your recording, regardless of how you decide to convey it.

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 03:09:53 PM
Good job, cometear. You are making progress with this one!

I think faulty_damper would be more happy if you played the appoggiatura ON the beat rather than BEFORE the beat, regardless of the length being either that of an 8th or a 16th note. It will sound a bit better ON the beat than before.

Here are two fascinating performances that give two very different perspectives on the work:

One of the performances is somewhat 'slow' and the other is somewhat 'fast', but both manage to convey a remarkable level of musical intensity-something which I would like to hear more of in your recording, regardless of how you decide to convey it.

Oh I see, the appoggiatura makes a bit more sense now. I actually like that idea a lot!

Offline throwawaynotreally

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:46:48 PM

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:48:54 PM

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:34 PM

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:09:21 PM
I've only done the first movement (so far). I really enjoy Mozart but I'd rather start another one of his sonatas instead. I've enjoyed this piece so much and I feel it's brought me so much further. Thank you for all of the details and I'll take a look!

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:24 PM

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:11 PM
Good to know that you enjoy it too :)  It's by far my favourite Mozart sonata. I have a weird feeling that playing this has changed my musical development immensely too.

I'm happy I picked it to work on, it was a huge leap for me. I feel more confidant now about doing more Mozart and even rather excited! It's definitely changed me technically, musically, and mentally. The only downside is that I feel I have run out of fuel for this piece (playing it but not listening to it). For example, I can get a rush of emotion listening to recordings, even my own, but when it comes to playing it I do not enjoy it as much.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert